At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
The Engineering Research Support Organization (ERSO) supports 240+ faculty affiliated with 22 campus-wide departments, schools and colleges, with over $182 million in research awards. The mission of ERSO is to partner with all the members of the ERSO community so they can pursue world class teaching, research and public service. Our priorities are to attract, develop, and retain staff who value professional excellence and embody a service mindset; Create an infrastructure that promotes efficiency, provides transparency, and facilitates compliance; Always striving to improve through feedback from the ERSO community and campus partners. The ERSO team supports the College of Engineering, College of Environmental Design, The School of Information and various organized research units, centers and institutes.
The Financial Services Analyst role involves the processing and servicing of a variety of operational, personnel, and financial transactions and services. The duties include cashiering, payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, collections, data collection and data entry, analysis, review and control, customer servicing, and reporting.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: April 7, 2023 - Open Until Filled
- Provides a full scope of procurement, reimbursement, and payment functions (e.g. removal expenses, honoraria payments, stipend,etc.) focusing on complex travel and entertainment requests in a high volume unit, maintaining the Service Level agreement.
- Reviews, ensures accuracy, and compliance on all B&FS transactions, including T&E reimbursements, procurement, and vendor payments. Ensures that all transactions are in compliance with ERSO and College/School/Units procedures and University policies.
- Advises non-US citizens and sponsoring staff of foreign visitors of visa requirements to qualify for travel reimbursement according to immigration regulations.
- Provides guidance, direction, and training to campus department users in Travel and Entertainment policy and use of the online travel and entertainment request reimbursement system and ERSO processes.
- The incumbent proactively works to resolve customer issues, manages customer expectations, and analyzes the workload of the group to identify opportunities for improvement and new enhanced services.
- Proactively work with customers to ensure that the purchasing, payment, and reimbursement processes are compliant with UC policies.
- Serves as the initial reviewer of exceptional reimbursement requests and hotel and other event contract. Follows established Department process to route to authorized campus officials, etc.
- Understanding of the chart of accounts, including assigning the appropriate account code of expense type and working in the correct Org Node.
- Anticipates and resolves operational, fiscal, or other non-routine problems. The incumbent will evaluate related work flow within and between Business Services their service units, noting bottleneck problem areas and recommends and implements solutions.
- Ensures the entire P to P (Procure to Pay) process is completed – ensures payment to vendor or individual is finalized.
20% Customer Support /Problem Resolution/Intranet & BearBuy Support:
- Provides customer service support as a member of the ERSO email aliases help group, in a professional, timely, authoritative, and consistent with ERSO processes and UC policy.
- Partners with customer to resolve issues related to T&E reimbursements and other payment requests.
- Proactively follows-up with customer throughout the resolution process.
- Provides assistance to customers using the ERSO Intranet system by answering questions, offer 1-1 training, and demonstrate system features.
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of the campus systems; Intranet, and department file management system in order to quickly gather the necessary information to resolve issues.
- Provides clear information in written and/or verbal format to inform the customer the final resolution and throughout the process.
- Participates in team meetings to define, enhance, and recommend changes to the Intranet and other unit process in order to gain efficiencies.
- Communicate in a friendly manner and provide excellent customer service.
20% Blucard / Event Planner Card (EPC) Procurement:
- Serves as the main point of contact for assigned customer base served for procurement card programs.
- Coordinates all necessary communication, paperwork and internal training to ensure compliance of Bus-43 and Bus-79.
- Reconciles blucard transactions, as a backup, for purchases made with Department issued blucard or EPC.
- Adheres to all bucard/EPC compliance requirements.
- Stays abreast of campus compliance and requirements regarding the procard program. Ensures ERSO practices are in compliance with program requirements.
- Gathers all necessary information for internal procard audits dealing with reimbursements.
- Determines which procard is appropriate for each transaction and seeks opportunities to expand the EPC/blucard program in ERSO.
- Strong interpersonal skills, analytical skills, service orientation, active listening, critical thinking, attention to detail, ability to multi-task in a high volume environment, organizational skills, effective verbal and written communication skills, sound judgment and decision-making; ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
- Take the initiative to solve complex problems and provide follow through.
- Perform detailed work and complex calculations with a high degree of accuracy and to identify, research, and resolve problems independently.
- Ability to conduct business within a continuous improvement environment based on benchmarking, customer feedback and operational and performance measurements.
- Work with a customer serve attitude.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and changing environment.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Travel and Entertainment reimbursement and purchasing policies and guidelines.
- In-depth knowledge and comprehensive understanding of federal, state, and University regulations and policies governing travel, purchasing, and entertainment expenses.
- Knowledge of audit guidelines.
- Thorough knowledge of financial processes, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of financial data management and reporting systems.
- Recognize deficient processes and develop recommendations, methods, and procedures for improving efficiency in the functional unit.
- Thorough understanding and application of Bus 43 and Bus 79, UCOP travel Policy, G28 and UCOP moving & relocation Policy, G13.
- Knowledge of foreign document requirements including basic visa types.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office and common desktop/web applications.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's Compensation & Benefits website.
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $65,000 to $73,000 annually. This 100% FTE career position is eligible for full benefits.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, please see the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission poster.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, please see the University of California Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace policy.
Apply on company website