Provide assistance in covering the circulation desk activities, answering basic questions by library patrons, and stack maintenance. Assist with gathering statistics and provide data entry. Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform circulation desk procedures such as fulfillment, user maintenance, and stack maintenance.
- Provide general public service by answering directional and informational questions in person and by telephone, email, and live chat.
- Provide basic reference and technical assistance and, when necessary, refer visitors to appropriate personnel for additional service.
- Assist with computer, copier, and printer issues.
- Assist with interlibrary loan requests.
- Assist with gathering statistical information.
- Perform data entry.
- Sort and route mail.
- Regularly confirm that links are current and working on the library website.
- Maintain student supplies.
- Complete all mandatory training and participate in a minimum of two professional development activities each year as well as additional online or live classes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The duties listed in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.
One year of work experience in a relatedclerical or public service position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of office technologies such as computers, performing Internet searches, Microsoft Office and Adobe products
- Ability to use the Dewey Decimal Classification System
- Excellent customer service skills and strong organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and sensitivity to a multicultural environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with all students, faculty, staff, and community partners; giving full attention to what others are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, and asking questions as appropriate
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar in order to communicate diplomatically, clearly, and effectively, both verbally and in writing to exchange information, give/receive instructions, and respond to inquiries appropriately
- Accurate typing/data entry skills and demonstrated ability to work with attention to detail
Ability to learn how to provide technical assistance as well as how to assist others in locating information
- Passion for assisting students with educational endeavors and representing the OSU brand with positivity and professionalism
- Demonstrates ethical and professional behavior
High School diploma or equivalent
- Previous library work experience
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule to include some evenings and weekends in an often times busy and noisy environment.
- Work will be performed in an office environment with a significant amount of public contact, in person, by telephone, via email and various communication platforms.
- Position requires repetitive desk to counter mobility.
- Typical library environment – various working areas may be dusty.
- Ability to transport books and copier paper.
- Duties require extended periods of sitting, standing, talking, listening and computer usage.
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
Apply on company website