Kelly Services has been providing outstanding employment opportunities to the most talented individuals in the marketplace. We are proud to offer a contract temporary opportunity to work as a Chemical Lab Tech at a prestigious Fortune 500® company in Groveport, OH
Pay rate: Up to $23/hour
Duration: 6 months
The candidate will be working at Dolan Labs in Groveport
General analytical duties, including the performance of routine/complex analyses and the preparation of the associated reagents. The analytical focus was primarily towards samples from the following analytical areas: Coal and PCB's and plant services including miscellaneous/ R&D projects.
The current assignment is in the Plant Services Analytical Group as the laboratory technician responsible for analysis of coal preparation, BTU's, sulfur, ash, and moisture as well as the preparation of soil and oil samples to be analyzed for PCB's.
Chemical Lab Techs serve in support of power plants, energy delivery, other AEP entities, and third party interests, performing a variety of independent, non-routine, and more complex quantitative analyses using sophisticated laboratory instrumentation. Performs, under Supervision, the preparation of environmental, industrial hygiene, and industrial/manufacturing samples prior to analysis; routine chemical analyses, sampling techniques, calculating, and recording results for environmental, industrial hygiene, and industrial/manufacturing samples. Performs a variety of technical duties requiring some independent analyses, organizing work and providing input for setting priorities and negotiating deadlines, training lower level employees, participating on problem solving teams, working on multiple projects, recommending alternative analytical techniques, and learning to making analytical decisions based on quality control results and trends.
Essential Job Functions & Tasks:
1. Chemical Lab Techs follow established laboratory processes and procedures, perform analysis of laboratory data and process and document analysis results.
2) Follows established Laboratory Policies and Procedures:
1. Performs with supervision a variety of duties of a technical nature requiring some independent analysis and exhibiting fundamental understanding of lab procedures.
2. Demonstrates competency in routine procedures and analytical techniques under the guidance of experienced technicians and exempt personnel.
3. Anticipates needs for reagents and supplies and plans accordingly while balancing lead times, due dates and current supplies.
4. Assists in maintaining equipment and assists in the formulation of safety improvements. 5. Understands and practices safe laboratory procedures and serves as a member of a safety team.
6. Demonstrates competencies required for accuracy and precision of analytical data for laboratory certification.
7. Participates in training of lower level technicians and exempt employees on laboratory procedures.
8. Plans work by priority under supervision.
9. Ensures work quantity and quality by requiring strict adherence to NIOSH methods, EPA (and EPA-approved), and ASTM (and ASTM-modified) standard operating procedures as appropriate. (moved from Other Requirements).
3) Perform daily operations for chemical analyses:
1. Assists higher classified employees in more complex technical work activities, shows proficiency in mathematical calculations, and demonstrates knowledge of the laboratory information management system.
2. Performs and reviews calculations and evaluates test data.
3. Demonstrates mastery of routine analyses and the procedural techniques to perform non-routine analyses.
4. Develops techniques to efficiently handle simultaneous analysis of different samples requiring diverse analytical techniques and analysis of large batch samples.
5. Identifies problems in analytical methods and instrumentations and discusses a course of action with a higher level employee.
6. Performs routine and non-routine quantitative and qualitative analyses independently ensuring that all are performed in accordance with established procedures.
7. Assists in analyzing asbestos by bulk analysis, etc. or fiber identification which is conducted by preparing material and viewed under a microscope using Polarized Light Microscopy (PLM).
3b) Perform daily operations for chemical analyses cont:
8. Assists with analyzing asbestos-airborne fiber count (NIOSH 7400). This analysis may include testing air samples for asbestos and other fibers by Phase Contrast Microscopy (PCM).
9. Develops an awareness of the relationships among sample turnaround time, sample load, and internal and external customer requirements; and makes routine decisions in the scheduling of assigned work based on these relationships.
10. Identifies the need to negotiate a change in deadlines to accommodate changing workloads.
11. Displays technical knowledge needed to resolve basic problems encountered in analytical methods and instrumentation.
12. Demonstrates ability to maintain clear and concise written records of analytical work and develops a basic knowledge of the sample tracking system.
4) Documents daily operations and activities:
1. Assists in the preparation of reports on laboratory activities.
2. Develops an understanding of valid analytical results based upon sound quality control procedures, the proper operation of analytical instruments, and the proper execution of analytical methods.
3. Develops the ability to discern and communicate trends in analytical quality control results and subtle changes in the performance of analytical instruments and method conditions that may lead to invalid data if corrective action is not taken.
Basic Qualifications :
Education requirements are listed below:
Associate's degree in chemistry, related sciences, industrial hygiene, or engineering field.
Work Experience requirement listed below:
Minimum two years' experience in related field.
Required License(s)/Certification(s) are listed below:
Valid state driver's license.
Physical demand level is Not Yet Determined
1. Exhibit basic organizational, planning, and analytical knowledge and experience.
2. Obtain license/certifications required if assigned to industrial hygiene analyses, but can be obtained after employment.
3. Develop skills for improved decision making, for efficient organization of work to meet deadlines, and for effective troubleshooting of analytical procedures and instrumentation. 4. Demonstrate the highest standards of ethical behavior and support the Company's Corporate Compliance Policy and national standards.
5. Minimum experience is demonstrated mastery of knowledge and experience requirements of lower level positions in this job family.
6. Ability to work around hazardous chemical and potentially contaminated matrices.
Additional Requirements :
REQUIREMENTS – OTHER: These are additional expectations for the job and could include specific work experience, license / certifications, preemployment testing, expectations about travel, shift work, etc.
1. Exhibit basic organizational, planning, and analytical knowledge and experience.
2. Obtain License/Certifications required if assigned to industrial hygiene analyses, but can be obtained after employment.
3. Develops skills for improved decision making, for efficient organization of work to meet deadlines and for effective troubleshooting of analytical procedures and instrumentation. 4. Demonstrate the highest standards of ethical behavior and support the Company's Corporate Compliance Policy and national standards.
5. Minimum Experience is demonstrated mastery of knowledge and experience requirements of lower level positions in this job family.
REQUIREMENTS – PHYSICAL DEMANDS: List physical demands required for this job, but not limited to: Ability to work around hazardous chemical and potentially contaminated matrices.
This position is recruited for by a remote Kelly office, not your local Kelly branch. To be considered for this position, you must submit your resumes. Thank you for your interest in the assignment.
Also, feel free to follow up via email to RACS113@KELLYSERVICES.COM
As a worker today, it's up to you to take charge of your career and look for opportunities to learn, grow, and achieve your potential. Helping you find what's next is what we're all about. We know what's going on in the evolving world of work—just ask the nearly 500,000 people we employ each year. Connecting with us means getting the support, guidance, and opportunities needed to take your career where you may have never imagined.About Kelly®
At Kelly, we're always thinking about what's next and advising job seekers on new ways of working to reach their full potential. In fact, we're a leading advocate for temporary/nontraditional workstyles, because we believe they allow flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities that enable a better way to work and live. Connecting great people with great companies is what we do best, and our employment opportunities span a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and industries around the world.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual orientation, gender identity. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.
Kelly Services, Inc. (NASDAQ: KELYA, KELYB) is a leader in providing workforce solutions.
Kelly offers a comprehensive array of outsourcing and consulting services as well as world-class staffing on a temporary, temporary-to-hire, and direct-hire basis.
Serving clients around the globe, Kelly provided employment to more than 540,000 employees in 2013. Revenue in 2013 was $5.4 billion.
Apply on company website