Editor - Journal Managing Editor
Monday-Thursday 8:30am-5:00pm (Part Time)
Working with a high degree of independence and under a limited degree of direction, managing editor will oversee and coordinate the publication s editorial activities for the Journal of Interesting Immunology and Infectious Diseases JIIID . The managing editor has authority to accomplish major objectives, investigate and resolve matters on behalf of the journal leadership, and has the authority to formulate, affect, interpret, or implement management policies or operating practices for the journal. This on-line journal is designed to serve the needs of researchers, dedicated to rapid submission, rapid and rigorous peer review and rapid publication of high quality research on a monthly basis.
1. Serve an active role on the leadership team in developing long and short-term department strategic planning. Chart out yearly plans, monthly work plans and determine measurable targets. Develop a work plan with key activities, deliverables, and milestones for the journal. Provide the expected results or outputs from each key activity or strategic initiative. 2. Create policies and procedures, making decisions on specific operating problems and issuing instructions in the name of the journal/editor in chief in accordance with journal procedures and policies. 3. Oversee and schedule the daily, weekly, monthly and yearly implementation of workflow, assignments, and strategic plans for journal. Coordinate a number of assignments simultaneously and adapt to changing priorities. Problem-solve and develop improvements for journal procedures. Supervise copy editor and coordinate work of section editors, reviewers, and staff. 4. Manage all financial aspects of the journal, including accounting, budgeting, cost-control, preparing annual reports, tracking delinquent accounts, and authorizing purchases. Provide recommendations on various rates advertising, subscriptions, journal access, etc. to Editorial Board. 5. Manage the peer-review process. Interface with the editors and guest editors to choose the expert scientists who will review the papers. Oversee the progress of the manuscript as the authors address scientific comments. Communicate the decision about whether or not the paper is accepted and the paper will appear in our journal. 6. Serve as liaison between authors, reviewers and staff. Oversee the production of the journal. Check that the manuscripts are complete and suitable for publication. In some instances, this may require that figures are redrawn and/or rearranged. Provide guidance to authors in rewriting a manuscript that has language problems. Approve a final manuscript copy and review proofs. Work with authors to make corrections and confirm the quality of figure reproduction. 7. Prepare publisher reports for board meetings. Host editorial board meetings, present report. 8. Expand the journal s overall visibility. Take the lead in marketing; keep up with trends in publishing by attending conferences and webinars; implementing applicable trends in journal workflow e.g. development of mobile optimized website and app . Create promotional materials for the journal.
Department: regular contact with supervisor and editor University: Infrequent contact with university staff. External: Frequent contact with editors, journal staff, journal authors, journal reviewers, Students: none at this time;
Directly supervise the copy editor.
Experience: 3 or more years of previously related experience required. Education/Licensing: Requires BA/BS in English or related fields.
1. Excellent writing skills
2. Excellent editorial skills
3. Excellent computer skills
4. Must be a self-starter and independent thinker. Will work with minimal supervision.
5. Good customer service skills
6. Strong organizational skills
As a worker today, it's up to you to take charge of your career and look for opportunities to learn, grow, and achieve your potential. Helping you find what's next is what we're all about. We know what's going on in the evolving world of work—just ask the nearly 500,000 people we employ each year. Connecting with us means getting the support, guidance, and opportunities needed to take your career where you may have never imagined.About Kelly®
At Kelly, we're always thinking about what's next and advising job seekers on new ways of working to reach their full potential. In fact, we're a leading advocate for temporary/nontraditional workstyles, because we believe they allow flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities that enable a better way to work and live. Connecting great people with great companies is what we do best, and our employment opportunities span a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and industries around the world.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual orientation, gender identity. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.
Kelly Services, Inc. (NASDAQ: KELYA, KELYB) is a leader in providing workforce solutions.
Kelly offers a comprehensive array of outsourcing and consulting services as well as world-class staffing on a temporary, temporary-to-hire, and direct-hire basis.
Serving clients around the globe, Kelly provided employment to more than 540,000 employees in 2013. Revenue in 2013 was $5.4 billion.
Apply on company website