The Office of Financial Strategy & Planning (OFSP) within the Finance Division at Brown supports the University's teaching and research mission by providing strategic support across the highest levels of the University including the University Leadership, Central Administration Leadership, and School and Department Leadership.
The Senior Financial Analyst will be responsible for the office's relationship with a number of the University's units (divisions or departments), including conducting objective analyses of the unit's financial performance, developing an in-depth understanding of their financial structure, and reviewing the unit's quarterly results, operating budgets, and long-range financial and capital planning. This position will also be involved in a wide range of initiatives to advise University leadership, Schools and units on critical strategic financial questions.
Major Responsibility: Developing an in-depth understanding of client's (division or department) financial structures to frame key questions for unit and University leadership, 50%
- Developing strong relationships with unit leadership and within central finance to collaborate on key financial planning challenges and opportunities.
- Working closely with leadership to analyze and evaluate quarterly results, operating budgets, long-range financial and capital plans ahead of engagement with the Chief Financial Officer, Provost, Executive Vice President of Finance and Administration, President, and the Corporation
- Managing the objective analysis of unit financial performance and preparing supplemental narratives to support quantitative analysis, when applicable.
- Attending regular meetings with directors, deans, appropriate staff and leadership to discuss operating performance, upcoming deliverables and priorities.
- Developing familiarity with day-to-day operations and the programs of the units to be able to provide guidance and advise on University policies and financial implications.
- Designing and delivering presentations that educate University leadership on potential options, facilitating informal and formal dialogue as needed
- Developing hypotheses and conducting analyses to respond to ad-hoc queries and strategic requests.
Major Responsibility: Manage financial deliverables, including reporting, budgeting, and forecasting and other financial planning processes; coordinate with embedded staff to ensure efficiency and accuracy, 35%
- Developing and maintaining interim reporting, leveraging the University's financial systems Workday and Adaptive Insights, with a focus on University-wide standardization.
- Managing financial analysis processes, analyzing business critical systems, and proactively resolving strategic issues that may span multiple areas.
- Developing and implementing strategies for: budgeting; forecasting, modeling & projecting; identifying & explaining variances; financial reporting; internal controls; expense reductions; cost containment; and revenue enhancements.
- Suggesting strategies for best use of funds.
- Serving as Cost Center Manager for assigned Cost Centers
Major Responsibility: Member of Office of Financial Strategy and Planning (OFSP) Team and Finance Division, 15%
- Work closely with other groups within the Finance Division (including the offices of the Controller, Treasury, Workday) to better understand University-wide financial management issues that inform planning, reporting, and analysis.
- Responsible for creating/updating process manuals and/or reporting templates in collaboration with team leadership.
- Cross-train with other analysts to gain a working understanding of their areas of responsibility
- Assist other analysts as appropriate in times of workflow fluctuations, if needed
Decisions Position is Free to Make
- Policies and processes for updating reports, ad hoc reporting, and costing allocation
- Recommendations for process improvements
- Follow-up on related actions, and other confidential information for the units
- Determining daily priorities
- Financial planning and financial forecasting
- Establishing best practices for effectively communicating with embedded staff of supported units
- Development of yearly budget, quarterly projections and reallocation of funds
- Support of a portfolio of academic or administrative units (3-5) as assigned, depending of relative size and complexity
- Working with multiple stakeholders (directors, managers, coordinators, central offices) to coordinate budget, projections, and University consolidation
- Multiple funding sources within unit budgets
Education and Experience
- BA degree in accounting, finance, economics or related field; 3-5 years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- MBA/CPA/MSF preferred
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills, including experience presenting to management and/or senior leadership
- Experience with designing and executing strategy-based financial analyses, including scenario modeling
- Well organized, flexible, and able to manage multiple challenging projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative working style and ability to build strong relationships with people at all levels of the organization
- Strong computing skills; advanced excel, PowerPoint and accounting software
- Experience working with financial reporting such as profit and loss statements or balance sheets
- Initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to learn new systems quickly
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. For more information, please visit theHealthy Brown site.
Recruiting Start Date:2022-06-07-07:00
Job Posting Title:Senior Financial Analyst
Department:Office of Financial Strategy and Planning
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Position Classification:Hybrid Eligible
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. All employees must also receive a COVID-19 booster within thirty (30) days of becoming eligible. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website