The Assistant Director provides administrative management related to the services and programs of the Brown Center for Students of Color (BCSC), while cultivating an environment that supports students of color at the intersection of their identities and lived experiences to ensure their academic and personal success.
The Assistant Director collaborates with students, faculty, colleagues, and alumni to create opportunities for students to connect their curricular and co-curricular learning, educates the campus community and institution and division leaders advocating for the academic and social needs of students of color, and facilitates opportunities for intellectual and personal community building in support of Brown's and the Division of Campus Life's mission.
The Assistant Director advises, supports, and advocates for student leaders, their organizations, and their programs; encourages connection between the co-curricular and curricular lives of students; and coordinates programming for prospective, first-year, and sophomore students to have a positive impact on matriculation, transition to college, retention, and the academic and co-curricular success of students of color. In collaboration with the Director, provide support to the BCSC programs that supports students of color in building community at Brown. The Assistant Director is responsible for developing learning outcomes and assessment tools for programs and student staff.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree strongly preferred. Strong preference for experience in the following fields: Student Development, Social Justice Education, Ethnic Studies, Gender and Sexuality Studies, Queer Studies, Women's Studies or a related field.
- Three years related experience required, preferably in a college environment.
- Extensive experience management student staff
- Experience managing professional staff
- Understanding of issues of social justice and demonstrated effectiveness in promoting respect and appreciation for diversity and inclusion among students and staff required.
- Demonstrated skill in facilitation, including an understanding of group dynamics and leadership development.
- Ability to take initiative and to offer creative solutions to problems.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team required.
- Ability to collaborate and consult with multiple campus constituents, including but not limited to: senior-level administrators, faculty, undergraduates, graduate students, and alumni.
- Demonstrated experience advising, supporting, mentoring, and/or advocating for students and student initiatives.
- Effective organizational, administrative and time management skills required.
- Effective written and oral communication skills required.
- Flexibility to evolve with changing university and campus life needs, goals and policies required.
- Computer proficiency in word processing, data management, and spreadsheets. Graphic design skill a plus.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends as needed.
Background Check: Criminal and Education
Recruiting Start Date:2020-07-21-07:00
Job Posting Title:Assistant Director of Brown Center for Students of Color
Department:Brown Center for Students of Color
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website