Be a part of a world-class academic healthcare system at UChicago Medicine as a Registered Dietician in the Parenteral Nutrition Department. The Registered Dietitian (RD) III – Parenteral Nutrition (PN) Management RD resolves complex issues for clinical nutrition support at an advanced level of practice. This includes nutrition assessment, nutrition support prescriptions, education for inpatients and/or home PN patients accepted and followed by the Nutrition Support Service (NSS), and triage of home nutrition support patients as needed/as applicable.
Essential Job Functions:
Under general direction, has the duties of instructing, assisting in the training, and checking the work of less experienced staff
Verifies that enteral formulations are prepared according to established guidelines, are administered in accordance with the prescribed therapeutic plan and are well tolerated by each patient
- Establishes individual plans of care for nutrition support therapy based on results of the comprehensive nutritional assessment, including immediate, intermediate, and long term goals of therapy
- Evaluates educational needs of the patient; documents objectives of, and indications for, use of home nutrition support if appropriate; specifies the route recommended to provide nutrition support and reassesses periodically during the course of therapy
- Tailors feeding formulations for disease-specific constraints and clinical status changes that may affect tolerance and nutrient utilization
Writes orders (once credentialed) for parenteral nutrition prescriptions, including macro- and micronutrients, fluid volume; electrolytes including potassium, sodium, phosphorus; vitamins and minerals; and medications, including insulin and acid suppression medication; enteral nutrition and oral diets.
Authorizes (with approval of a physician) changes to formulas based on clinical assessment of the patient
- Instructs patients and families; when indicated, on modified diets; instructs patients for whom follow-up in clinic is planned on home enteral feeding regimens. Assists with discharge for home parenteral nutrition patients
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 6(+) years total clinical experience
- Registered Dietitian (RD) with successful completion of coordinated program, dietetic internship, or other experience approved by the Commission on Accreditation of Dietetic Education (CADE) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Maintenance of RD through the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) by accrual of 75 units of approved Continuing Professional Education every 5 years.
- MS degree in Nutrition, Dietetics, or other relevant major
- Certified Nutrition Support Clinician(CNSC)
- Member of the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics and relevant practice group(s)
- Job Type/FTE: Registry (0.001 FTE)
- Shift: Days – 8 hour shift
- Unit/Department: Nutrition Support
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website