Be a part of a world-class academic healthcare system at UChicago Medicine as a Patient Appointment Coordinator II at our Burr Ridge Call Center. Please note this position will be located in Burr Ridge. In this role you will be assigned to specialty scheduling hubs and is the employee responsible for answering and responding to telephone calls received through the main telephone lines of the ambulatory practices.
In this role, the Patient Appointment Coordinator II will be responsible for answering and responding to inquiries received through the main contact channels of the ambulatory practices. You may also serve in the role as a subject matter expert (SME) for a defined service line. You will obtain, verify, and input demographic, insurance and referring physician information as required, document messages electronically using appropriate medical terminology, triage calls per protocol and assist callers in a manner consistent with the Ideal Patient Experience approach and philosophy.
- In alignment with scheduling standard work, greets callers warmly and uses the standard greeting including name and name of the practice being supported.
- Responds to customer inquiries appropriately per queue currently being supported and escalates any issues for expeditious resolution.
- Obtains and inputs demographic, insurance information, and referring physician information for new patient calls. Schedules the appointment per practice protocols being supported using computerized scheduling systems. Inquiries to see if the patient has special needs and documents appropriately.
- Assists supervisor with gathering of metrics for MDI huddles and assists with training and mentoring of new Patient Appointment Coordinators under the direction of the Supervisor Specialty Call Center.
- Verifies, and where necessary, inputs changes in demographic, insurance, and other information for return patient appointment calls.
- When serving as a SME in a defined service line, serves as a liaison to the functional area from which they obtained their expertise. The SME will serve as the “go-to” person for assistant and up-to-date information on a specialty and will spend scheduled time with providers and others in clinic to maintain and grow service line knowledge as well as foster relationships.
- Follows appropriate protocols of queue being supported or guidelines and uses computerized scheduling systems to investigate scheduling opportunities if the patient voices discontent with schedules offered. Works with others if necessary to determine if an accommodation can be made in order to provide patient with an earlier appointment.
- Documents all messages electronically using appropriate medical terminology via the In Basket functionality and forwards to the appropriate clinical provider and queue being supported.
- High School Diploma
- Two years of exdperience as a Patient Appointment Coordinator working in a multi-specialty practice environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with patients, physicians, management, staff and other customers
- Exceptional customer service skills including the ability to use independent thinking, sound judgment and creativity when resolving customer issues
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and effectively handle challenging situations
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Basic office skills including 35 wpm typing and 4500 key stokes an hour
- Kowledge of basic and specialty specific medical terminology
- Ability to accurately and efficiently enter alpha numeric data on screen
- Ability to use personal computers and select software applications including Epic
- Successful completion of Cadence Scheduling system training and competencies
- Associate or Bachelor's Degree
- Knowledge of specialty specific medical terminology
- Job Type/FTE: Full Time (1.0 FTE)
- Shift: Day – 8 hour shift
- Unit/Department: Burr Ridge Call Center
- CBA Code: 743 Clerical
Apply on company website