Join UChicago Medicine, as an Operating Room Nurse in the CCD-OR.
Sign-On Bonus Eligible!
As an Operating Room Nurse, you will be responsible for providing nursing care that is goal-directed and adapted to the needs of an individual, a family and/or community during health and illness.
In this role, the Operating Room Nurse will provide nursing care based on knowledge, skills and standards of practice which provide a foundation that allows the nurse to assess, plan, implement and evaluate the nursing care being provided. Each professional nurse assumes primary responsibility and accountability for all nursing care provided by him/her and those directly under their supervision. The nurse is part of the multi-disciplinary team which works collaboratively in providing care to patients.
Essential Job Functions
- Utilizes assessment skills to determine patient needs in order to provide comprehensive patient/family care for patients from neonate to geriatric population.
- Identifies learning needs of patients and their family which directly influence patient recovery and develops teaching methods to enhance learning.
- Implements nursing actions based on scheduled surgery, patient assessment, patient developmental needs and incorporates actions into written plan of care.
- Evaluates care given and allows for alterations in nursing interventions to meet the changing needs or conditions of the patient. Documents appropriately in patient care records.
- Successfully completes unit based and hospital competencies as designated.
- competently performs nursing treatments and procedures according to hospital policy and nursing practice within clinical specialty as documented by the respective clinical rotational checklists.
- Maintains current CPR certification.
- Prepares and administers medication/treatment according to the physician's orders utilizing knowledge base to assure patient safety.
- Works collaboratively with other health team members in providing a holistic approach to health care. Communicates changes to all team members as appropriate.
- Documents all aspects of patient care from admission to discharge according to hospital policies.
- Incorporates discharge planning measures into daily practice in order to provide patients with smooth transition from hospital to home.
- Provides cost-effective care by proper use of time, supplies and personnel.
- Actively participates in unit staff meeting.
- Assists unit in development/attainment of unit goals and objectives.
- Contributes to creating a work climate that encourages positive staff morale, motivation and commitment for all who participate in the care of patients.
- Assumes charge nurse responsibilities as assigned by Clinical Director or designee.
- Shares in leadership responsibilities at various levels by supervising, directing and teaching other employees as it effects patient care.
- Participates in unit activities/goals to promote retention of staff.
- Participates in a changing environment by being supportive and cooperative with changes at the unit level.
- Demonstrates reliability and accountability to the unit and Department of Nursing.
- Incorporates professional standards into practice utilizing written nursing care plans.
- Participates in Quality Improvement data analysis, conclusions and changes determined.
- Participates in the preceptor program either by being a preceptor or assisting in those who are.
- Participates in weekly scheduled in-service
- Current RN Illinois license
- Minimum of 1 year of Surgical/OR experience required
- Graduate of an approved school of nursing; BSN required
- Trauma background preferred
- Job Type/FTE: 1.0, Full-time
- Shift: Day, 7am-5pm
- Specialty Call
- Unit/Department: Transplant Team, CCD OR
- CBA Code: NNU
- Click here to learn more about UChicago Medicine
- Click here to learn more about our benefits
- Click here to explore other career opportunities at UChicago Medicine
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website