Medical Records Technician IV Job, the Health Information Management department, Full Time Nights, University of Chicago Medicine in Hyde Park, Chicago, IL
We're hiring a Medical Records Technician IV for the Health Information Management department for a Full-Time, Nights shift for the University of Chicago Medicine in Hyde Park, Chicago, IL.
Join one of the nation's most comprehensive academic medical centers, University of Chicago Medicine, in a detail-driven and influential role as the Medical Records Technician IV. Our employees deliver world-class care in an environment where opinions are respected, decision-making is rewarded and teamwork is the order of the day. Our staff is encouraged to achieve their career goals, which in turn benefits all of our patients and the University of Chicago Medicine as a whole.
In this role, under minimal direction, the Medical Records Technician IV assists the physicians and medical center in the record completion processes to ensure compliance with licensing, regulatory and accrediting agencies. Performs and coordinates release of information processes internal and external to the HIM Department and Medical Center. Performs and coordinates the completion of death certificates and requests for autopsies.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists in the record completion cycle to ensure compliance with regulatory, licensing, and accrediting agencies by analyzing and validating deficiencies in electronic and hardcopy medical records, assisting physicians in their record completion activities, processing transcribed documents, preparing notification letters and reports for the Medical Staff and Administration
- Coordinates release of information requests through direct patient or other customer contact via telephone, incoming mail, on-line computer system, or internal department. Maintains patient confidentiality as required by Medical Center, departmental and industry/legal standards
- Performs all task of Medical Record Technician I,II and III as necessary
- Coordinate the entire expiration process which includes, but is not limited to scrutiny of autopsy papers for completeness, appropriateness and accuracy; completion of the death certificate as required by the State of Illinois; initiate and update documentation of all expiration activities; remain current on state and country expiration requirements; assist staff unfamiliar with the expiration process; ensure paperwork completed timely and death certificate is signed within 24 hours of patient death
- Keeps work area neat and clean; properly cares for equipment
- Performs other related tasks as may be deemed necessary for the effective and efficient function of the HIM areas
- A completed high school diploma or GED required.
- 2– 3 years of previous health information management experience in an acute care facility as a Medical Record Technician III or similar position required. Equivalent college training will be considered in lieu of years of previous experience
- Must read and write in English
- Attention to detail to differentiate patient demographic information, forms, visit types and numbers is required
- Medical Terminology training required or successful completion within 9 months of employment
- Strong key entry and/or typing skills with CRT and/or PC experience required
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel programs
- Advanced knowledge of medical-legal rules and regulations that governs confidentiality and release of medical information
- Familiar with licensing, accrediting, and regulatory requirements as they relate to health information management record completion preferred
- Proficient on multiple computer systems within an acute care hospital and health information management department required
- Must have strong skills in independently prioritizing and accurately performing a variety of duties of increasing responsibility within a system that has frequently changing assignments, priorities, and deadlines
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required; high level of diplomacy in customer interactions required. Professional telephone skills required
- Must be able to work independently with self-discipline and in a team environment
- Experience with external release of information preferred
- Job Type/FTE: Full-Time (1.0 FTE)
- Shift: Nights
- Unit/Department: Medical Records
- CBA Code: 743 Clerical
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website