Join a world-class academic healthcare system, University of Chicago Medicine, as a Phlebotomist, on the Inpatient Phlebotomy team. The Phlebotomist is responsible for drawing blood at UChicago Medicine under minimal supervision. At UChicago Medicine, quality diagnostic testing is coupled with exceptional customer service. Our laboratory provides a full array of testing services to support your patient care at whatever level you may require, helping to make the process seamless for you and your patients.
**Sign On Bonus Available **
The phlebotomist will draw inpatients, outpatients, and emergency room patients. The phlebotomist will perform venipuncture and skin punctures with expertise, precision, and in a customer service oriented fashion, adhering to all established policies and procedures. The phlebotomist will prepare collected specimens for courier pick-up which may include centrifugation. The phlebotomist will order supplies and stock the blood draw area while maintaining a clean, safe, and sterile working environment. This role will be responsible for drawing blood from the adult non-critical care units in Mitchell Hospital and the mother/baby unit and nursery under minimal supervision. Includes patient verification and generation of specimen collection labels via the Lattice handheld system.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs venipuncture and skin punctures with expertise and in a customer service oriented fashion, adhering to all established policies and procedures
- Properly packages specimens for delivery through pneumatic tube system
- Stocks blood drawing carts and keep cart and area clean, safe, and sterile
- Use of handheld system to identify patients, indicate specimen collection status, and generate specimen collection labels.
- Stocks blood drawing area and keeps areas clean, safe, and sterile
- Administers glucose tolerance tests and schedules subsequent draws according to dosage times
- Provides accurate collection instructions for random urine specimens and process according to policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma
Training in phlebotomy from an accredited program; one-two years of practical experience with references
Thorough knowledge of asepsis; manual dexterity and accuracy
Ability to follow directions and established procedures with attention to detail
Demonstrate ability to utilize institutional computer systems
Demonstrate ability to interact effectively with patients, colleagues, and other healthcare workers
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required
Ability to complete tasks with accuracy and document appropriately
Ability to perform in stressful situations; handle large volumes of patients within narrow timeframes
Ability to stand, stoop, push, lift and walk distances up to 6 city blocks in length
Ability to adapt to rapidly changing environment
- Phlebotomy (ASCP) certification/eligibility preferred
- Job Type/FTE: Registry
- Shift: Day
- Unit/Department: Inpatient Phlebotomy
- CBA Code: Non-Union
In this role, we anticipate that you will generally work approximately 12 hours per week. We anticipate that you will generally be scheduled to work the Day Shfit, from approximately 12p-4:00p and will not be scheduled for on-call shifts. We anticipate you will be scheduled to work 100% at the Hyde Park campus. The days of the week that you are scheduled will vary depending on the week, but we anticipate that you will be scheduled to work on rotating weekends and holidays.
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website