Be a part of a world-class academic health-care system at UChicago Medicine as a Cardiac Telemetry Technician (CTT) in the Telemetry Hub Department.
The Cardiac Telemetry Technician (CTT) works under the supervision and direction of a registered nurse. The CTT observes electrocardiogram (ECG) tracings on monitored patients, reports rhythm changes and arrhythmias to the registered nurse caring for the patient, activates Rapid Response Team (RRT) and/or the physician if needed, documents rhythms and arrhythmias, and records rhythm strips and other data per policy.
Essential Job Functions
- Continuous monitoring, documentation and communication of electrocardiogram tracings on monitored patients.
- Recognizes, identifies, analyzes, and documents arrhythmias, abnormal cardiac rhythms, rhythm changes and promptly reports changes to the registered nurse.
- Enters patient data into arrhythmia computer system.
- Sets alarm limits according to alarm parameter guidelines.
- Admits, uses stand-by mode, and discharges patient to the monitoring system according to policy.
- Configures individualization of the arrhythmia alarm as directed. Initiates telemetry documentation system.
- Observes placement of monitoring leads for optimal signal.
- Documents rhythm, heart rate, and intervals per policy.
- Validates yellow and red level alarms and takes appropriate steps.
- Notifies the nurse if this is a new alarm or change for the patient.
- Reviews trends and alarm history every two (2) hours and documents per policy.
- Trouble shoots central station, monitors, transmitters and patient cables.
- Performs shift checks of printer and strip recorder and other associated equipment.
- Ensures that all equipment is adequately maintained. Arranges repairs as necessary. Maintains equipment logs.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Current basic life support (BLS) healthcare provider certification (American Heart Association).
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications and Microsoft Office.
- Upon hire, successful completion of the University of Chicago electrocardiogram (ECG) course and validation test.
- Certified Cardiographic Technician strongly Preferred
- One year work experience
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Job Type/FTE: Full-time (0.9) ; 12-hour shifts
- Shift: Nights, 7:00pm-7:00am
- Unit/Department: Telemetry Hub
- CBA Code: Non-Union
- No Visa Sponsorship Available
In this role, we anticipate that you will generally work approximately 36 hours per week. We anticipate that you will generally be scheduled to work 12hr shift, from approximately 7pm to 7am and will not be scheduled for on-call shifts. The days of the week that you are scheduled will vary depending on the week, but we anticipate that you will be scheduled to work on weekends (Saturday and/or Sunday) only every other week.
Apply on company website