The Paralegal will provide direct support to and perform paralegal functions for the Brand Protection sub-team within the Legal Department of a rapidly growing restaurant company. Essential duties include:
• General Paralegal Support:
• Assisting with transactions of the legal department, to include database maintenance and document files. Ensure proper indexing and filing of original legal documents;
• Interacting regularly with other Support Center teams, vendors, field operators and other outside parties to gather, solicit, and/or provide requested information and documentation;
• Preparing legal documents such as contracts, leases, permits, licensing material, discovery responses, affidavits, agreements, and other corporate required documents;
• Acting at direction of counsel or Team Lead and maintaining the strictest of confidence regarding materials he/she comes in contact with (which will include Company trade secrets, confidential information, and intangible assets);
• Analyzing and organizing information to produce reports; and
• Performing other paralegal duties as needed.
• Brand Protection-Specific Paralegal Support:
• Managing the Company's employment litigation docket with the assistance and oversight of the Litigation Manager, which includes but is not limited to: opening and closing matters in Company's matter management system (currently Tracker), helping run data analytics on a regular basis (as described below), working with internal business partners and outside counsel to assist in responding to discovery or requests for information, and providing general case assistance to Senior Counsel and Litigation Manager;
• Assisting Senior Litigation Paralegal in management of non-employment litigation docket, which includes but is not limited to: opening and closing matters in Company's matter management system (currently Tracker), helping run data analytics on regular basis (as described below), working with internal business partners and outside counsel to assist in responding to discovery or requests for information, and providing general case assistance to Senior Counsel and Senior Litigation Paralegal;
• Participating in receipt and distribution of service of process via the Company's registered agent;
• Assisting with issuance and maintenance of legal holds;
• Tendering matters to Company's franchisees, vendors, and their insurance carriers; and
• Submitting employment matters to Company's applicable insurance carriers and following up with carriers to relay updates, as necessary.
• Process Improvement/Data Analytics and Technology:
• Collaborating with and otherwise assisting Senior Counsel and Litigation Manager in the creation/development/implementation of internal processes to promote efficiency; and
• Effectively utilizing Tracker to manage cases, including opening matters as necessary, periodically updating matter profiles with relevant claim details, docketing new and revised deadlines, performing regular file maintenance, closing matters as necessary, and assisting Litigation Manager in running data analytics, reports and trend analyses (on law firm data, case data, defense fees, etc.).
• Partnering with various Support Center departments outside of Team Legal (including, but not limited to, Payroll Compliance, Risk, IT, HRIS, and Field People Teams) to develop process efficiencies between teams and collect data; and
• Providing strategic partnership to outside counsel in connection with litigation matters to coordinate the gathering of data, witness preparation, litigation filings, etc.
• Assisting in team and/or department-wide projects as necessary.
Individuals who are able to perform the essential duties listed above may be or may become eligible for different bands [10 – 13] and levels [Paralegal, Senior Paralegal] of this position, depending on years of relevant experience, complexity of the work, the ability and extent to which he/she can work autonomously, and the ability and extent to which he/she assumes additional substantive areas of responsibility.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, gender identity, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, citizenship, national origin, or any other legally-protected status. We encourage and welcome all applicants to apply.
Education: Paralegal certification (equivalent work experience will be considered); Bachelor's degree preferred
Experience: 5+ years of relevant litigation experience in a law firm or corporate legal department (trial preparation and/or trial experience a plus)
Note: certain sub-teams and/or higher levels may require more specialized or additional experience. Team Leads will provide information regarding additional experience required, if at all, during interview process and upon request.
Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft applications (TEAMS, OneDrive, OneNote, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe, and comfort with databases and web-based processes preferred. Experience with Legal Tracker is preferred.
Other Skills: Professionalism, outstanding organizational skills, strong attention to detail, strong interpersonal skills, ability to multi-task and meet deadlines under pressure, and the desire and ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment required.
This job description includes essential functions and basic duties and is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document is not a contract of employment, and the Company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the Company may deem appropriate.
Apply on company website