Management Systems International (MSI), a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area management consultancy with a 40-year history of delivering results for our clients. Our expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation; democracy and governance; peace and stability; rule of law and accountability; education; gender and inclusion; strategic communications; and leadership and organizational development. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Colombia, Indonesia, Jordan, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Syria and Ukraine, and works domestically. We support clients ranging from the U.S. Government (e.g., the U.S. Agency for International Development, U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Departments of State and Labor, and the Millennium Challenge Corporation) to large bilateral and multilateral donors (e.g., the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program). We also work with national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
The Increased Demand and Engagement for Accountability (IDEA) Activity is a six-and-a-half-year initiative by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). IDEA aims to support civil society organizations to be more effective in advancing democratic values of citizen participation, government accountability, and rights protection at local and national levels. The IDEA program seeks to support Sri Lankan civil society organizations (CSOs) and CSO-led networks to collaborate more effectively and engage proactively and productively with the government on key issues related to good governance, fundamental rights, gender equality, and sustainable development. IDEA also delivers a comprehensive and targeted capacity building component to support local organizations in developing their organizational and institutional capacities. Initiatives are designed and tailor-made to develop Sri Lankan CSOs technical, management, financial, and monitoring capacities, making them more strategic, inclusive, adaptive, and accountable in performing their role in a democratic society.
**Please note: Only Sri Lankan citizens are eligible for this position.**
The Legal Consultant will conduct an assessment and provide recommendations for improvement to legal support services provided by an organization focused on rights issues to clients across the country. The recommendations will be based on assessments, beneficiary interviews, desk reviews, and other research methodologies adopted during this consultancy. The Consultant will use participatory and appreciative inquiry methodology and review the legal support services. The Consultant will also work closely with the Board Members nominated by the partner organization and the IDEA Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP). The Consultant will be required for a period of approximately 25 days.
- Develop assessment scope and methodology in consultation with the partner organization's Board of Directors, ensuring gender equality and do no harm principles.
- Conduct desk review at the partner organization.
- Conduct interviews with various stakeholders in selected locations. Interviewees may include attorneys, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Provide recommendations to improve different aspects of the legal assistance program, including quality of services, coordination, communication, etc.
- Develop and present draft report on the efficiency and effectiveness of the legal support services provided with recommendations for improvement.
- Master's degree in law is required.
- Minimum three years of practical experience as an attorney in Sri Lankan courts required.
- Knowledge of key governance and human rights issues in Sri Lanka required.
- Experience working with civil society organizations (CSOs) in Sri Lanka focused on rights issues is preferred.
- Experience in managing or contributing to legal aid programs preferred.
- Experience in evaluating civil society projects preferred.
- Strong writing and communication skills in English and fluency in at least one national language is required.
MSI is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We strive to develop and maintain a culture that honors the perspectives and identities of our employees, our communities and those impacted by our work.
We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
MSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action/Americans with Disabilities/Veterans Employer.
MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please visit Tetra Tech's Disability Assistance Page. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.Additional Information
- Organization: 216 MSI
Apply on company website