DescriptionWe are currently seeking a motivated and customer-oriented Automation Engineer with a background in technical writing to begin a challenging career with SAIC.
The successful candidate will assist with the creation and management of tools to generate technical reference documents and will shape the environment such that technical documentation becomes a natural and incremental bi-product of the capability being delivered, whether science, software, or systemic in nature. This may include automating the data collection or fostering the creation of intuitive systems that do not require documentation or identifying existing artifacts that meet contractual requirements and mission needs with minimal, if any, rework. The ideal candidate will have experience in both technical writing and in the development and implementation of automation tools for highly technical organizations. Some of the tasks the Automation Engineer will work on include building automation tools to ensure code and system modifications are documented in a timely manner, creating document repositories that are auto-populated and available to all team members, and developing toolsets that ensure project management artifacts are kept current and are visible by internal staff as well as the Government customer. The Automation Engineer should have deep technical skills to build and maintain automation tools and should have excellent communications skills to help facilitate stakeholder meetings, take meeting minutes, and assist with user documentation needs (e.g., User Guides, FAQs, User Feedback, etc).
• Determine the end user needs for technical documentation
• Work with internal teams to obtain an in-depth understanding of the product and the documentation requirements
• Prepare instruction manuals, meeting minutes, and other supporting documents to communicate complex and technical information more easily
• Organize material and create documentation artifacts according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
• Maintain records and files of work and revisions.
• Develop automated tools to generate required technical documentation
• Design tools that leverage community-edited resources and project tracking tool sets (e.g., Jira and Confluence) to create artifacts suitable for delivery to government stakeholders
• Create and maintain documentation repositories and wikis with community editing capabilities that allow team members to contribute content and make updates on-demand
• Analyze existing and potential content and automation tools to determine where improvements can be main and where documentation efforts can be streamlined
• Participated in the creation and maintenance of the information/documentation architecture
• Produce high-quality automation tools and documentation artifacts that meet standards and are appropriate for the intended user or audience
• Write easy-to-understand user interface text, online help and developer guides
• Create tutorials to help end-users use a variety of applications
• Organize and write supporting documents for products
• Use photographs, drawings, diagrams, animation, and charts that increase users' understanding
• Revise documents and modify toolsets as issues arise or when requirements change
• Perform configuration management tasks, including facilitating the OIT Change Request process
• Bachelor's Degree in technical or scientific discipline
• 5 years experience as a technical writer (or similar) focused on creating and maintaining technical documents for software or IT-focused projects
• 5 years experience as an automation engineer (or similar) focused on creating and maintaining automation tools
• Experience with scientific and technical documents, preferably meteorological software and related documents
• Experience with or knowledge of Air Force Weather forecasting operations
• Must be US Citizen
• Must be able to obtain Secret Clearance
Apply on company website