You are the driving force behind our company.
Start your career with Ryder today!
Under close supervision, the Technician II performs minor to average routine maintenance and repair services on different types of vehicles. Works with the assistance of a T3, T4, TIC, SS or SM, when performing highly technical and superior diagnostic type repairs. Task assignments are directed by shop management to encourage development in a productive manner. The T2 Technician performs minor to average repairs and routine maintenance under limited supervision. The T2 may be assigned to work/train directly with a T3 or T4.
- PERFORMS VEHICLE MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR DUTIES INCLUDING:Performs standard vehicle maintenancePerforms standard component inspections and repairsPerforms preventive maintenanceDiagnoses standard mechanical and electronic problems, utilizing diagnostic computer when applicableIdentifies root cause of basic failures/conditions and perform repairs as requiredReplace defective components as instructed
- Utilizes key functions of Shop Management System and electronic documentation available
- Interacts with customers/drivers to properly determine nature of complaint once assigned a task
- Performs facility maintenance duties
- Works in accordance with all federal/ provincial and corporate compliance guidelines (i.e., safety, DOT, MOT)
- TIRE AND WHEEL MAINTENANCE: Tire/Wheel safety trained within 90 days (TW208)Perform air pressure checkscheck tread depthIdentify tires that need to be changed or repairedPerform tire P.M. checksReplace tire and wheel assemblies
- PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE: PM trained and qualified within 90 days (PM230 & PM298)Proper lube techniquesMinimal tire inspectionBrake check/applied strokeBattery checkUnder vehicle check/loose componentsFault code identification
- BRAKE-HYDRAULIC: Brake Hydraulic trained and qualified within 90 days (BH220 & BH298)* where appropriateRoad test for proper operationMake visual inspections for leaksCheck park brake operationcheck fluid levelMeasure lining thicknessAdjust service brakesAdjust park brakes
- BRAKES-AIR: Brake Air trained and qualified within 90 days (BA220 & BA298)Identify, remove & replace all brake-related defective componentsIdentify components of air brake systemOperate brakes and identify irregular noises, air leaksPerform simple air system testsMeasure lining thicknessAdjust brakesPerform air brake sections of P.M.Measure drums, rotors, cam bushings
- A/C & HEATER:Operate the system and recognize if the system is cooling or not (PM related)Perform basic system checks such as power to compressor, condenser obstructions, belt tension, etc.
- CARGO HANDLING/TRANSFER, LIFT GATES:Identify leaksOperate lift gateIdentify make and modelAdd fluid to bring to proper level
- CHARGING SYSTEMS: (electrical): HD electrical trained within 90 days (DR208)Visually inspect batteriesClean connectionsCheck condition of beltscheck alternator mounting and pulleyReplace and adjust belts
- CRANKING SYSTEM: (electrical)Inspect and test batteriesVisually inspect cables and cranking motorClean the battery cables, connections and starterReplace batteriesCharge and check batteriesReplace or repair defective cables
- LIGHTING SYSTEM AND ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES:Repair minor wiring problemsRepair minor lighting problemsReplace bulbs, lenses and simple light assembliesReplace and adjust sealed beamsInstall or replace accessories such as heated mirrors, fans, radios, CB's, spotlights, electronic devises, etc
- CLUTCH:Lubricate throw-out bearing, linkage, shafts and cablesIdentify proper clutch operation and adjustAdjust hydraulic or mechanical clutches
- COOLING SYSTEMS:Check and adjust coolant levelsVisually inspect system for leaksMake minor repairs such as hose replacements, fan shrouds, leaking fittings, etc.Recognize permanent anti-freezes and their requirementsUse refractometerUse pressure tester
- DRIVE AXLES:Inspect housings for leaksChange oil and filter, if required, and clean breathers
- DRIVE LINE:Lubricate drive line
- DIESEL/GAS ENGINES-ALL ENGINES:Check and adjust oil levelsIdentify unusual noises and oil leaks
- FUEL SYSTEMS:Replace and prime fuel filterCheck gas and diesel fuel system components such as fuel lines, pickup tubes, return lines, etc. for proper integrity and condition
- STEERING AND NON DRIVEN AXLES AND ALIGNMENT:Lubricate grease fittings, check and adjust fluid levelsCheck all steering components for wear
- SUSPENSION-CHASSIS AND CAB:Identify makes and modelsIdentify normal operationIdentify and repair air leaksIdentify malfunctions and make basic repairs (broken springs, excessive wear on bushings, etc) with moderate supervision
- VEHICLE COUPLIN SYSTEM (PM)Lubricate fifth wheel plate and slider mechanismOperate slider mechanism
- Performs other support duties as assigned to support operations. These could include but are not limited to Service Island support
Skills and Abilities
- Highly thorough and dependable
- Work shift work and weekend as required
- Perform all entry level tasks
- Ability to read and/or listen and understand information and ideas communicated
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong mechanical skills
- Ability to create and maintain professional relationships within all levels of the organization (peers, work groups, customers, supervisors)
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Flexibility to operate and self-driven to excel in a fast-paced environment
- Capable of multi-tasking, highly organized, with excellent time management skills
- Detail oriented with excellent follow-up practices
- H.S. diploma/GED required
- Associate's degree preferred in related field
- One (1) year or more combination of classroom training or work experience of mechanical repairs on heavy duty and medium duty equipment. Must have minimum tools required as outlined in Maintenance policy 2.02 required
- Non Commercial Driver License CLASS E
- Valid Commercial Driver License (CDL) CLASS A
- Must possess state license as required
Ryder is an equal opportunity employer. We value Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace and encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, visible minorities, aboriginals and persons with disabilities.
In accordance with our commitment to diversity and inclusion, Ryder welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment, selection, and assessment process. Should you require an accommodation, please inform the Human Resources representative of the nature of the accommodation requested so that we may discuss your needs with you. If you require assistance in order to apply please contact us at 905-302-3924.
Ryder est un employeur offrant l'équité en matière d'emploi. Nous valorisons la diversité et l'inclusion en milieu de travail et nous encourageons tous les candidats qualifiés à postuler, y compris les femmes, les minorités visibles, les autochtones et les personnes avec un handicap. (L'emploi du genre masculin dans ce texte ne se veut pas discriminatoire et n'a pour but que de l'alléger)
Conformément à son engagement envers la diversité et l'inclusion, Ryder accueille et encourage les candidatures de personnes handicapées. Des accommodements peuvent être proposés sur demande pour les candidats qui participent à toutes les sphères du processus de recrutement, de sélection et d'évaluation. Si vous nécessitez un accommodement, veuillez informer le représentant des ressources humaines de la nature de l'accommodement souhaité afin que nous puissions discuter de vos besoins avec vous. Si vous avez besoin d'assistance pour postuler, veuillez nous appeler au 905-302-3924.
Ryder operates behind the scenes, managing critical fleet, transportation and supply chain functions for over 50,000 customers, many of which make the products that consumers use every day. When you choose Ryder, you get access to industry-leading technology, one of North America's largest fleet of trucks, an expansive infrastructure of maintenance facilities and warehouses, and some of the most talented people in the industry.
Apply on company website