Summary of Job Scope and Expectations:
The Chief Development Officer is responsible for Restaurant Development, including real estate, store design, construction and facilities maintenance to meet the company's growth goals on a global basis. This position serves as a key member of the company's senior leadership team. The CDO directs the design and construction of all restaurants and is responsible for creating new store design concepts to enhance and develop the Panda brand. This position also oversees the effectiveness of the company's restaurant site strategies and makes recommendations on modifying the strategy or creating new approaches, advising ownership and senior leaders on future site selection. The CDO leads a multi-tiered staff of executives, directors, managers, supervisors, professionals, and support staff covering diverse functions, setting the vision, strategy, and execution of all Development initiatives.
The essential functions in this job description are not all-inclusive of this job's duties and responsibilities.
• Responsible for Restaurant Development (RD) for company & licensed restaurants, including real estate selection, restaurant architecture and design, facilities, and construction. Contributes strategically to the company's business success by meeting PRG's restaurant design and real estate goals. Develops and nurtures relationships with Operations, and other Support Center departments and external relationships with the development community. Advises ownership and senior leaders on the next generation of restaurant design concepts. Develops the company's new store opening and remodeling plan based on construction schedules and arrangement of new leases.
• Leads a multi-tiered staff of executives, directors, managers, supervisors, professionals, and support staff covering diverse functions, setting the vision, strategy, and execution of all Development initiatives for the company. Selects, hires, develops, and evaluates the Development team to achieve collaboration and a cohesive strategy.
• Ensures compliance throughout the company with brand guidelines for all concept restaurants and establishes the company's RD policies and procedures covering company-owned stores and licensees. Oversees the securing of new sites and delivering new store approval and opening plans to meet the company's growth plans through company and licensee stores. Collaborates on restaurant design innovation with Marketing, IS, Operations and other departments. Manages the Development budget in accordance with the company plan. Provides full support for opening company-owned and franchised stores in international markets and trains international franchise operations on restaurant development, site selection and store design.
• Stays abreast of retail/hospitality industry trends related to store design, real estate, construction and facilities management with a focus on fast casual dining. Communicates the effectiveness of the company's restaurant development and real estate strategies to senior leadership and makes recommendations on modifying the strategies or creating new approaches. Ensures the company's capability to keep pace with its growth and meet its business objectives by implementing best-in-class processes and systems.
The following job titles or job categories are examples of potential career opportunities and are not intended as a guarantee of promotion. These career paths can change at any time.
• Other executive leadership roles
Office conditions; travel over 50% including international locations for restaurant development and procurement (travel to stores with Operators. 20% and travel with construction, facilities, and real estate teams. over 30%).
• Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree in Business (MBA) preferred.
• Minimum fifteen years in progressively senior leadership roles, including real estate experience and experience serving as a member of executive leadership, preferably in a multi-unit retail environment
• Successful completion of annual store training
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to develop, model, and teach Panda's Mission, Values, and Culture
• Comprehensive knowledge of restaurant design and construction and the development cycle
• Comprehensive understanding of retail unit economics
• Comprehensive knowledge of real estate within a hospitality or other “small box” retailer environment
• Comprehensive understanding of retail real estate in a wide variety of venues (free standing drive thru, end caps, food courts)
• Comprehensive knowledge of Restaurant Development (RD) strategies, programs, processes, and approaches
• Broad understanding of the business and related functional areas (Marketing, IS, Operations Innovation, etc.)
• Maintains currency in proposed/potential changes in design and construction regulations
• Strong leadership and relationship building skills applied internally and externally
• Ability to serve as an inspirational leader within the organization, working effectively with senior leadership
• Ability to build a strong Development team and lead diverse functions
• Ability to advise senior leadership on Development strategies and issues
• Ability to communicate the values of the organization and to exemplify the highest level of interpersonal, presentation, facilitation, and communication skills
• Ability to embrace change and continuous learning
The following are Panda Leadership Competencies for Senior Vice President:
• Managerial Courage
• Managing Vision and Purpose
• Political Savvy
• Dealing with Paradox
• Innovation Management
• Developing Direct Reports & Others
• Building Effective Teams
• Sizing Up Others
• Integrity and Trust
• Contribute to building and sustaining the Panda Mission and Culture
• Effectively innovate the restaurant design brand
• Meet annual opening plan for corporate/license locations to ensure planned company growth
• Contribute effectively to international expansion plans
• Effectively establish and develop a strong, dynamic Development team
• Manage departmental budgets within plan
• Implement process improvement resulting in a more effective Development operation
Apply on company website