Requisition 36066: Roadway Equipment Mechanic - Engineering (Traveling)
Troubleshoot, repair, and maintain heavy off-track equipment and roadway machinery. Works as a member of a Program Maintenance traveling crew.
This is a traveling position. The in-person interview session will be held in Knoxville, TN.
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations, and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Troubleshoot and perform heavy repairs to all types of equipment components including gas and diesel engines, transmissions and differentials, hydraulic pumps, motors, cylinders, valves, various workheads, booms, electrical systems, and conveyor belt systems
- Solve work related problems, make decisions, and provide instructions
- Understand mechanical operations of machinery
- Drive heavy duty service truck, including truck mounted crane
- May be required to pull trailers
- Must be willing to travel
- High School/GED
- 21 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Willing and able to travel to various job sites, including those that require overnight stays and those that require short notice mobilization.
- Must have CDL or capable of obtaining a CDL during initial probation period once hired.
- Experience as a mechanic (Journeyman Status)
- Welding experience
- Read and understand schematic drawings
- Basic knowledge of hydraulic systems, electrical and electronic systems, and pneumatic systems as it pertains to the operation and maintenance of roadway machinery.
Skills and Abilities:
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications-both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Mechanical aptitude
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is a Fortune 300 organization and one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern is a major transporter of industrial products, including chemicals, agriculture, and metals and construction materials. In addition, the railroad operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a principal carrier of coal, automobiles, and automotive parts.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Together, we power progress.
Apply on company website