To serve as program specialist for special education inclusion and curriculum services including: program planning, participating in individual student planning, problem-solving, and consultation; and developing and providing relevant training for staff and parents.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Collaborate with special education coordinator and other specialists to identify instructional needs and staff development guidelines for district autism services.
- Conduct campus visits to observe students in their educational setting and collaborate and consult with campus staff.
- Determine specific learning and behavioral problems, skill deficiencies, or social adjustment difficulties of students and work cooperatively with campus personnel to develop instructional or remedial programs.
- Participate in case conferences concerning individual students as requested.
- Serve as a consultant to district personnel on matters pertaining to the inclusion of students with disabilities, specifically autism spectrum disorders.
- Collaborate with administrators and teachers in identifying appropriate classroom placements and to provide a continuous flow of information concerning student needs.
- Support the campus by attending problem-solving meetings such as campus team meetings and Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) committee meetings.
- Develop, plan, conduct and/or assist with staff and parent trainings/workshops.
- Promote an understanding of future planning and transition services.
- Ensure best practices are employed in the delivery of these services to students.
- Compile, maintain and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required.
- Maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Comply with district policies, as well as state and federal guidelines.
- Demonstrate regular and prompt attendance to ensure a consistent focus on student learning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION GUIDELINES
- Bachelor's degree in education or related field.
- Certificate, license, and other legal credential in Special Education preferred.
- Experience working with individuals with low incidence disabilities and development delays and educating students with disabilities.
- Knowledge of inclusion models, TAKS data analysis, and general education curriculum; behavior Intervention Plan/Positive Behavior Support Systems; Community Resources; laws, regulations and procedures related to special education; admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) committee process and individual Education Plan (IEP) goal setting process and implementation; teaching techniques, instructional delivery, instructional materials for students with low incidence disabilities.
- Skill in facilitation, consultation; organizational, time management, analytical, and problem solving.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with students and families and coordinate relationships with school and community; make effective decisions and take independent action.
The essential functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the characteristic duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities noted herein; however, this is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions found in this job description.
- May be exposed to outdoor weather conditions during portions of work day.
- Needs to move about inside the classroom or campus to monitor students as necessary.
- Frequent standing, stooping, bending, pulling and pushing.
- Frequent moving of small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom equipment.
- Occasional requires lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Occasional prolonged and irregular hours.
- Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work schedules of others on short-term basis.
- Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the immediate work unit and monitor impact outside immediate work unit.
- Maintain composure and professionalism at all times.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply on company website