Make a +Difference at Kraton!
At Kraton, we make a Positive Difference, and we are looking for individuals who are also looking to make a difference in their jobs, for our customers and to the world. We are looking to hire a key member of our Research & Development team at our KIC-Houston location.
The Staff Scientist will collaborate with New Business Development to identify critical technology gaps and propose new options to address any findings, exploring technology areas new to Kraton. The ideal candidate will need to have prior exposure to a minimum of two – three different types of technology. In addition, a passion for research, diving into the unknown, and learning new technologies!Key Responsibilities
- Contribute to value creation by creatively finding new applications of technology/products using expert knowledge of technology in professional discipline.
- Facilitate internal & external technical discussions relative to the focus area of interest to bridge the understanding of the technical needs and gaps with potential product technology extensions within Kraton or to engage external research partners to explore non-Kraton available solutions.
- Effectively engage potential customers, consultants, industry experts and potential development partners in interviews and discussions to learn and ultimately define the technical needs and gaps that may be needed in the market.
- Lead technical projects through early phases of Stage-Gate process to screen technical options and identify and validate final product definition.
- Independently formulate research work and improvement of new and existing processes/projects.
- Conduct thorough analyses of complex scientific/technical problems and creatively formulate innovations/new concepts
- Guide design of and modifications to experiments and carry out as required by the project.
- Places required orders and requisitions to complete experimental set ups.
- Independently establishes contacts and networks with internal/external customers.
- Independently assess and discuss customer needs, propose and execute proper approaches to problem solving.
- Independently report experimental results to internal/external customers, team members, and senior leaders.
- Takes independent actions on more complex and sensitive issues within area of expertise.
- Participation in the definition of own development needs in technical expertise, business, personal skills and application.
- Exposure to a minimum of 2- 3 different types of technology. Must be technically versatile with enough breadth of technical expertise that they can effectively engage a wide variety of industries and technologies
- Capable of making and defending data-driven decisions on the forward direction of projects, including shelving of projects when necessary
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to direct/refine a research study by advancing new ideas and views
- Understand basics of how to apply for a patent
- Ability to file a Record of Invention
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees, senior management, clients, customers and general public
- Ability to document, report and present work in written summary forms
- Ability to provide training on topics within the field of expertise
- Ability to work closely with internal/external customers and establish strong relationships to drive innovation projects
- Ability to coach, mentor lower level scientists.
- PhD or MSc + 9 yrs. relevant experience or BSc + 11 yrs. relevant experience in Chemistry/Physics/Material Science
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. Statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for this position.
Kraton's internal talent acquisition team manages our recruiting efforts and from time to time works with pre-selected/pre-approved external staffing agencies. We do NOT accept unsolicited resumes or candidate referrals from recruiters and/or agencies who are not pre-selected/pre-approved.
Kraton is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply on company website