Sr. Scientific Technical Writer - Minority Health Expertise - NIH - Bethesda, MD
Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. Through our partnership with the National Institutes of Health, Kelly Government Solutions offers administrative, IT, engineering, scientific, and healthcare professionals the opportunity to work with one of the most prestigious research organizations in the world. We are currently seeking a Senior Scientific Technical Writer to work onsite with the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD.
OVERVIEW. This is a long-term, open-ended contract position which offers:
- Competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package.
- Tremendous room for personal growth and career development.
- Opportunity to work at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the world's foremost medical research center.
TASKS/SERVICES. The contractor shall:
- Collaborate with staff to design a publications program that enhances development and dissemination of information about the Institute's research programs, activities and outcomes.
- Provide senior-level writing and editing support for online and print materials and publications.
- Serve as lead for editorial operations of written content produced by rogram staff, and staff within the Office of the Director.
- Write and edit health and science communications information for lay audiences in a variety of formats, including articles, blog posts, factsheets, one-pagers, brochures, presentations and speeches, workshop summaries, reports, briefing materials, press releases, content for digital media in online and print format.
- Edit public-facing documents; proofread, fact-check, clarify and re-write when necessary.
- Critically review draft documents, synthesize comments, and incorporate appropriate comments from other reviewers into successive drafts to prepare final documents.
- Cross-check data and verify content from source documents.
- Prepare work products for use in presentations; organize data in various forms such as charts, graphics, tables, illustrations, diagrams and PowerPoint presentations.
- Provide copy edit support to assure the quality of all documents based on writing standards such as GPO Style Manual and Associated Press (AP) style, punctuation and grammar standards.
- Conduct extensive research on the subject matter; interview and/or observe subject matter experts; research journals and on-line resources, and other substantive source material to write about scientific topics.
- Maintain editorial calendar to ensure that posts and publications are completed by deadlines; update and share content calendar with staff.
- Provide support for general health and science communications activities that involve content creation for health communications and outreach projects, and online events.
- Provide substantive technical writing and editing advice for NIMHD scientific programs, policies and other activities.
- Update and maintain writing style guide.
REQUIREMENTS. The contractor must have:
- Ph.D. in a related discipline.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related experience.
- Knowledge of available resources on minority health and health disparities.
- Mastery of grammar, writing and editing principles, concepts and techniques, and style requirements.
- Knowledge of project management tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of the subject matter to edit technical materials to communicate information to specific audiences and to validate the information.
- Ability to research, review, analyze, interpret, organize and draft materials in appropriate format based on information gathered under very strict deadlines.
- Knowledge of a broad range of sources of technical and scientific information.
- Skill in communication techniques to gather and convey highly technical information for lay audiences, including fact-finding, analysis, interpretation and organization of data.
- Knowledge of scientific information sources, research methods, publishing processes, policies and procedures; relevant government policies, procedures and requirements.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written, with the ability to write using the plain language principles.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE.
Note that the phone number for our NIH branch is not listed. Due to the high volume of inquiries, we regret that we cannot accept phone calls. All qualified candidates will be contacted.
About Kelly Services
Kelly Services, Inc. (NASDAQ: KELYA, KELYB) is a leader in providing workforce solutions.
Kelly offers a comprehensive array of outsourcing and consulting services as well as world-class staffing on a temporary, temporary-to-hire, and direct-hire basis.
Serving clients around the globe, Kelly provided employment to more than 540,000 employees in 2013. Revenue in 2013 was $5.4 billion.
Apply on company website