Research Associate, Marina Del Rey / Los Angeles, CA
Position Overview: The Research Associate I position will be integrated to the discovery and biological engineering team and assist with efforts to identify new bacteriophages, characterize their microbiological and genomic features and help develop engineering pipelines. Opportunities exist to expand into other sectors of the development pipeline.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Grow and maintain bacterial cultures and bacteriophage stocks
- Extract and purify DNA from bacteriophages, plasmids and bacteria
- Perform plasmid, phage and bacterial genome sequencing as needed (Sanger, Illumina and/or minion technologies)
- Assist in the cloning of plasmids, engineering of bacteria and phages as needed
- Contribute to screening efforts for the isolation and characterization of new bacteriophages
- Maintain laboratory notebook and accurate records of daily experiments
- Understand and comply with company standard operating procedures and safety procedures
- Read and understand scientific language, literature and publications as necessary
- Assist in general upkeep of laboratory and maintain a clean and organized work environment
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree (BS) or Master's degree (MS) in Microbiology, Cell Biology, Genetic Engineering, Synthetic Biology or related field with experience in Microbiology.
- Must have prior laboratory experience in a lab or research setting
- Must have Experience with DNA sequencing (Sanger sequencing and/or next generation sequencing)
- Must be proficient in aseptic techniques and general microbiological techniques (streaking, plating, storing micro-organisms)
- Experience with genetic engineering highly desirable (plasmid cloning, bacterial genome engineering and/or bacteriophage modification).
- Ability to quickly integrate into a fast-paced team, learning new techniques and protocols as needed
- Excellent English communication and reading/writing skills
- Must be reliable, organized, detail oriented, and a self-starter with the ability to prioritize and work with minimal supervision
- Strong team-player and able to work well in small groups and independently
- Familiarity with bacteriophages a plus but not required
This is a full-time position for work in a laboratory environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. There is little to no travel required for this position with the exception of required training and possible conference or event attendance.
APPLY TODAY! Questions? Email Kevin at Kevin.Lau@kellyscientific.com
With Kelly, you'll have access to some of the world's highest regarded scientific organizations—providing you with opportunities to work on today's most challenging, research-intensive, and relevant projects. Our connections can lead you to innovative scientific pursuits you'll be proud to help advance. We work with 90 of the Fortune 100 companies and found opportunities for more than 10,000 scientific professionals last year.
You pursued a career in science to fuel your quest for knowledge and your desire to make the world a better place. Let Kelly fuel your career—connect with us today.About Kelly®
At Kelly, we're always thinking about what's next and advising job seekers on new ways of working to reach their full potential. In fact, we're a leading advocate for temporary/nontraditional workstyles, because we believe they allow flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities that enable a better way to work and live. Connecting great people with great companies is what we do best, and our employment opportunities span a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and industries around the world.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual orientation, gender identity. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.]] About Kelly Services
Kelly Services, Inc. (NASDAQ: KELYA, KELYB) is a leader in providing workforce solutions.
Kelly offers a comprehensive array of outsourcing and consulting services as well as world-class staffing on a temporary, temporary-to-hire, and direct-hire basis.
Serving clients around the globe, Kelly provided employment to more than 540,000 employees in 2013. Revenue in 2013 was $5.4 billion.
Apply on company website