Ranked #15 on the 2019 ENR list of Top 500 Design Firms, and with more than a hundred offices across North America, the building and construction team provides the architectural, engineering and construction (A/E/C) industry with a full suite of capabilities both in the lab and on site. From testing, inspection and certification services to building sciences solutions, the company delivers Total Quality Assurance to the built environment.
The Project Engineer will support the Building and Construction business by managing testing/certification projects, conducting tests and monitoring construction of test samples.
Listed examples are illustrative and representative of the tasks required of this position and are not intended to be complete or exclusive.
- Independently conduct on and off site evaluation of products to determine compliance with applicable standard(s). To do this, Project Engineer must:
- Read and determine applicability of national codes and standards clauses for the EUT (equipment under test);
- Read and understand schematics and manufacturing instructions;
- Validate the project scope and sample applicability;
- Under scope of the project, identify and locate test instruments and equipment required for testing;
- Follow established test plan;
- Set up and operate EUT; perform and document simple repairs on EUT as needed;
- Conduct thorough construction review; document results;
- Perform testing of products in accordance with standards. Core tests include, but are not limited to: rating, leakage current, dielectric, temperature, pressure, stability, mechanical hazard, flammability, abnormal and fault insurance, rain, radiation, sound, and laser.
- Mentor less senior technical personnel.
- Supply information for quotes such as length of project, site needed, rental equipment, samples, and standards that will be used.
- Complete preliminary design reviews (PDR) both on and off site.
- Provide more specialized "expertise" in one product category, i.e., become reviewer, resident expert, or obtain and maintain advanced product knowledge.
- Develop and set up test plans.
- Set up and operate standard test equipment including, but not limited to: spectrum analyzer, oscilloscope, multi-meter, dielectric strength tester, ground continuity tester, digital multi-meter, surge generator, over-voltage tester, environmental condition chamber, and articulated probes. Use hand tools to build/calibrate test fixtures.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree in engineering
- 2-4 years directly related experience; prefer prior project management experience
- Demonstrated experience with U.S., Canadian, and other International product safety standards, i.e., ANSI, CSA, UL, EN, IEC is preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form
- Ability to deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Ability to make technical decisions and engineering judgments independently within established parameters
- Excellent communication skills, in both verbal and written formats
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Microsoft Office expertise
- Ability to travel as business needs dictate
Intertek is a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide. Our network of more than 1,000 laboratories and offices and over 43,000 people in more than 100 countries, delivers innovative and bespoke Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification solutions for our customers' operations and supply chains. Intertek Total Quality Assurance expertise delivered consistently with precision, pace and passion, enabling our customers to power ahead safely.
A career with Intertek means joining a global network of professionals dedicated to bringing quality and safety to life. Our vision is to become the world's most trusted partner for Quality Assurance and we offer our employees the chance to make an impact with attractive growth opportunities in this industry on a global scale.
We offer a salary and benefit package competitively placed within the local market, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and more.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status or on the basis of disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Intertek is a drug-free workplace. As a condition of employment, all hires are required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
Apply on company website