Join UChicago Medicine Home Care as a Home Care RN
The Home Care RN is responsible for providing patient care on an as needed basis. The nurse plans, organizes and directs home health services and is experienced in nursing, with emphasis on community health education. Fee for Service RN/LPN may work during weekdays, weekends, holidays, and/or after business hours.
Essential Job Functions
- Assesses patient and family to determine ongoing home care needs and progress toward goals. Provides a complete physical assessment and history of current and previous illness(es)
- Initiates plan of care as assigned, including preventive and rehabilitative nursing procedures.
- Monitors patient response to interventions.
- Develops a care plan which establishes goals, and incorporates therapeutic, preventive, and rehabilitative nursing actions, as well psychosocial support as needed. Includes the patient and the family in the planning process.
- Administers medications and treatments as prescribed by the physician.
- Counsels the patient and family in meeting nursing and related needs.
- Provides health care instructions to the patient as appropriate per assessment and plan.
- Identifies discharge planning needs as part of the care plan development and implements prior to discharge of the patient.
- Prepares clinical notes and updates the case manager after each visit as appropriate.
- Communicates with the physician regarding the patient's needs and reports any changes in the patient's condition; obtains/receives physician's orders as required.
- Communicates with clinical supervisor and/or weekend coordinator as needed to assure continuity of care.
- Responsible to come into agency as needed to receive assignment, supplies.
- Communicates with clinical supervisor and/or weekend coordinator regarding new referrals and hospital discharges.
- Accountable to have all on-call equipment and supplies to appropriately carry out responsibilities.
- Understands role of Supervisor on Call / Administrator on Call and Weekend Coordinator to utilize for resource and emergency back up after hours.
- Completes all required documentation, adheres to electronic and paper documentation submission time frame.
- Represent the agency as a 24-hour service, respond to phone calls within agency time-frames, and make visits in accordance with agency policy.
- RNs supervises LPNs and Home Health Aides.
- Commits to 100% patient and customer satisfaction by always exhibiting a courteous and helpful manner during interactions with others, including patients, families, visitors, physicians, students and co-workers.
- Current state of Illinois nursing license RN as applicable.
- Current CPR is required.
- One to two years of recent acute care experience in an institutional setting required.
- One year of home health care experience preferred.
- Excellent observation, verbal and written communication skills, problem solving skills, basic math skills; nursing skills per competency checklist.
- Possesses and maintains a valid driver's license and current automobile insurance and has the availability of personal and dependable mode(s) of transportation to conduct home visits.
- Job Type/FTE: PRN
- Shift: Days (4-hr shifts)
- Unit/Department: UChicago Medicine Home Care
- CBA Code: Non-Union
“UChicago Medicine Home Care nurses and certified nursing assistants are employees of Ingalls Home Care. These nurses and certified nursing assistants are not employees or agents of The University of Chicago Medical Center, The University of Chicago, or The Ingalls Memorial Hospital.”
Apply on company website