SCHEDULE: PRN/Per Diem
Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is a 267-bed top-performing quality hospital with over 200 of the most highly respected and qualified physicians in the area. It is the only acute care hospital in the Tri-County area that offers open heart surgery, an Advanced Primary Stroke Center accredited by the Joint Commission and an Accredited Chest Pain Center. An affiliate of the UAB Cancer Community Network, Fort Walton offers a Cancer Care Center that is accredited by the Commission on Cancer. Fort Walton Beach Medical Center also provides advanced care for critically ill patients, including cardiovascular and trauma injury care, and emergency services, including a main ER, Pediatric ER and Destin ER. Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is in partnership with Twin Cities Hospital, located in Niceville. We are also the parent company of the Rehabilitation Institute, both located in Destin.
The Employer Outreach phlebotomist assumes the responsibility for performing phlebotomy skills appropriately and efficiently for community health screenings. Excellent phlebotomy skills required along with an ability to communicate effectively with all customers.
- Knowledge of technical aspects of phlebotomy and the activities related to optimal collection and maintenance of specimens for laboratory testing. Perform blood draws competently and expediently with as little patient discomfort as possible by obtaining blood specimens by performing venipunctures and finger sticks.
- To demonstrate skill and accuracy in obtaining specimens from all age groups serviced.
- Practices, develops and endorses customer service skills in relationship with internal and external customers.
- Maintains inter and intra departmental communications via telephone, intercom, fax, MOX and reception desk.
- Observes Safety, Infection Control and Risk Management policies and procedures.
- Performs any duties for efficient and quality operation of the department, including processing all specimens.
- Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, qualify of care or the services delivered.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
- Follows established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient's care, which results in patient harm.
- Attends in-service presentations and completes all mandatory education requirements.
- Uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
- Regular, Punctual and dependable attendance.
- Promotes the mission, vision, and values of the organization
- Understands and follows OSHA standards and universal precautions, and disposes of biohazardous waste and sharps in accordance to regulatory requirements
- Maintains specimen integrity by using aseptic technique, following department procedures; observing isolation procedures.
- Collects therapeutic drug-monitoring assays by collaborating with nursing personnel to ensure appropriate drug dose to collection time.
- Tracks collected specimens by initialing, dating, and noting times of collection; maintaining daily tallies of collections performed.
- Identifies the patient by comparing patient information on the requisition to the patient's identification band and one other identifier prior to performing venipuncture.
- Display courteous, professional manner towards patients, co-workers, nursing and medical staff.
- Label and record all test tubes, log procedures and file paperwork.
- Demonstrate knowledge of color top tube to use, volume of blood needed and test requirements.
- Clean and supply venipuncture trays.
- Maintain clean work area
- Order supplies as needed
- Complete assigned duties efficiently and in a timely manner
- Prioritize Traumas, STAT, Urgent, Timed, and Routine patient orders
- Perform laboratory specimen processing consisting of receiving, identifying, assigning accession numbers, sorting, preparation and internal laboratory distributing of blood, urine, and other biological specimens; This duty of preparation requires the employee to perform assigned pre-analytical activities related to laboratory testing, which may include biological specimen processing; centrifuging specimens, aliquoting measuring samples, recording data or comments in the computer.
- Understands and prioritizes emergency room laboratory specimens prior to all other specimen processing
- Creates specimen batches for Northwest Florida Clinical Laboratory Microbiology department, IRL, LabCorp, MAYO and all other reference laboratories used.
- Assesses specimen adequacy for testing to include checking for accurate labeling of the sample, proper sample for test request, conditions of sample prior to testing. Notifies appropriate personnel for sample problems.
- Has a profound knowledge of various laboratory testing menu of test not performed at Fort Walton Beach Medical Center, and how to order, process, pack for shipping, and perform specimen tracking of all test sent to a reference laboratory.
- Registers all specimen drop offs and after hour patient blood draws. Accurately interprets physician orders and records all necessary information.
- Instructs patients or medical personnel on proper collection of stool, urine, and sputum specimens.
- Performs various support activities to facilitate operation of assigned department or work area, which may include answering the telephone, clerical and receptionist duties.
- Adheres to the Corporate Compliance Plan and to all rules and regulations of all applicable local, state, and federal agencies and accrediting bodies; protects confidentiality of patient information and results at all times.
- Seek guidance and direction when necessary
- Demonstrate the value of team concept on a consistent basis
- Follow policy and procedures for the Clinical Laboratory and hospital
- Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- One year phlebotomy experience preferred
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Good customer relation skills including written, verbal and telephone
- Computer skills
- Filing and clerical skills. Copying and faxing skills helpful
- Working knowledge of policies and procedures of Phlebotomy
Our Company's recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.
Apply on company website