The future is bright at DTE Energy! We are one of the largest Fortune 500 diversified utilities in the United States with an aspiration to be the best-operated energy company in North America and a force for good in the communities we live and serve. DTE Energy has been recognized as an outstanding place to work including Indeed's annual “50 Best Places to Work”.
DTE Biomass Energy (DTEBE) develops, owns and operates landfill gas recovery systems throughout the United States. As a leader in landfill gas recovery, with more than 20 operating facilities stretching from New York to California, we have the proven capabilities to help provide communities with safe, environmentally sound energy. Headquartered in Detroit, Michigan DTE Biomass Energy is a wholly owned subsidiary of DTE Energy.
DIRECTOR, OPERATIONS – DTE BIOMASS ENERGY
Location: Detroit, Michigan
To lead an operations group in safely delivering production and financial commitments made in the budgeting process and in accordance with contractual obligations. To merge routine operations with asset management responsibilities thereby optimizing financial results while meeting safety, environmental and company growth objectives. To guide employees in continuous improvement of performance while maximizing employee engagement.
- Achieve best in class safety performance with a 0 OSHA IR and DART rate
- Deliver budgeted net income results
- Achieve 95% sales availability across the portfolios' power generation and RNG processing plants
- Ensure compliance with New Source Performance Standards (NSPS) and greenhouse gas (GHG) reporting requirements.
- Achieve annual Gallup survey scores no less than P&I targets. Strong pipeline of young leaders and successors through mentoring and thoughtful development plans
- Consistent, high quality operating data from RNG processing plants which meets all federal, state and compliance audits
- Growth targets achieved through consistent, reliable operating and technical support provided to the group's business development teams
- Trusted, solid relationships with the company's key landfill and dairy farm suppliers in addition to collaborative working relationships with our customers and pipeline & electric interconnect partners
This position is responsible for managing the day-to-day operation of company's biogas to energy assets including preparation of budgets, forecasts and production reports. Directs internal and external client relationship activities. Directs work of specialists supporting operations including energy efficiency, procurement, data integrity, project management and others. Maintains a culture of operating excellence with the highest priority on the health and safety, environmental compliance, and employee engagement. Manages employee evaluation process. Reports to the President, DTE Biomass Energy, Inc. Work requires a high level of independent judgment, initiative and discretion with work results viewed through the achievement of set goals and adherence to policies and procedures.
- Monitors financial performance against budget expectation and takes necessary corrective actions to meet expected results
- Interfaces with partners, debt holders, outside engineers, consultants and legal representatives as necessary
- Establishes goals for operational staff and monitors performance
- Ensures all major contract obligations and commitments are met by reviewing with project and operational staff the objectives, language, key terms and relationships involved
- During contractual disputes that involve the operating facilities, takes the lead in coordinating with legal and other relevant support groups to ensure favorable outcomes for the business unit
- Supports development efforts concerning growth opportunities. Creates operating and maintenance cost estimates for acquisitions and new projects. Conducts due diligence efforts regarding detailed review of physical assets and operating processes of potential acquisitions
- Interacts with peers at non-regulated and utility affiliates and general industry to establish “best practices”. Identifies and implements best practices concerning operational and maintenance activities
- Tracks operational performance with regard to availability, capacity factor, forced outage rate,
etc. Identifies trends and compares performance against benchmark data. Provides technical and
operational solutions to correct deficiencies
- Reviews operating budgets and approves major maintenance and capital budgets
- Works to increase employee engagement at all facilities coordinating with plant management to ensure employees understand clearly their roles and have the tools, training and resources necessary to perform to the best of their ability
- Promotes safe operating practices, coordinates with safety team to determine main areas of focus and provides support to implement safety programs. Assists with safety investigations
- Promotes environmental stewardship and compliance with environmental regulations. Assists with environmental investigations and responses as required
- Directs recruiting, selection and hiring of operations personnel
- Promotes appropriate training and career/succession planning
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A Bachelor's degree in engineering, operations management or similar discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience with at least ten years of
increasing responsibility in management roles in power generation, manufacturing or industrial environment.
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess landfill or anaerobic digestion biogas/renewable natural gas experience and secondarily natural gas small scale power generation
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely communicate both verbally and in writing to internal and external audiences
- Organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple simultaneous activities
- Proven ability to take tasks, assignments and projects from start to completion with minimal supervision
- Significant experience with budgets, operating plans, income statements and pro forma models
- Extensive knowledge of contract terms and conditions and the ability to administer complex contracts
- Thorough understanding of the financial impact of operational and maintenance decisions at a facility
- Proven ability to develop effective working relationships
- Ability to manage through the delegation to and empowerment of employees
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to operations and logistics problems in order to provide timely solutions
- Ability to analyze data for key performance metrics and trends
- Knowledge of regulatory processes
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Word and Excel; familiarity with email, scheduling, commitment tracking, customer relations and time reporting software
The physical demands characterized in the essential and marginal job functions epitomize those that must be met by an employee to properly perform the integral functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please reference the essential and marginal job functions (general office) for this position.
In addition, when working a project site, the employee must be able to wear protective equipment (including, but not limited to hearing protection, hard hat, safety boots, safety glasses or goggles, flame-resistant coveralls, and gloves) and a negative-pressure respirator.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works mainly in a business office setting and may work at a project site. In the course of working at the project site, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, including cold/hot, wet and/or humid conditions, and may work near moving mechanical parts and/or machinery. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate in the office but may become loud at the project site.
DTE Energy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by law.
Apply on company website