Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day.® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operated 17,266 stores in 46 states as of February 26, 2021. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
Principal Manager for the procurement and management of Dollar General's carrier base representing a multi-million dollar annual budget and multiple 3rd party carriers in a complex delivery network. Responsible for network strategies, design and all execution-related process, including timely merchandise flow for all products to the company's extensive distribution center (DC) network. Partner with other departments and providers to ensure optimal order and flow of goods along with appropriate industry insight and order visibility.
- Directs all aspects of the company's transportation program. Major responsibilities include:
- Management of all 3rd party providers across all modes of operation in addition to the management of consolidation locations.
- Leads all procurement, pricing negotiations, and contract management efforts.
- Serves as the principal operator and expert for the network that flows all merchandise, which could include from vendor origin to destination DC as well as DC to stores. All aspects of timely merchandise flow and associated performance metrics are inherent in this responsibility.
- Manages key relationships necessary to execute DG's transportation programs. These could include but are not limited to working with Demand Chain to setup optimal sourcing, ordering, and transit requirements, coordinating special projects with Merchandising and Distribution, and ensuring adequate visibility and reporting to appropriate organizations.
- Leads the design and implementation of network strategies for the department to ensure optimal cost/service. This includes flow analysis to determine optimal mode selection and ensuring supply chain systems are setup to support. Also determines the proper use of consolidation and rail capabilities to optimize network flow
- Works with IT and 3rd party software providers (i.e., JDA) to maintain and develop enhancements to support company programs. Evaluate additional off-the-shelf applications for feasibility
- Team development and performance management:
- Responsible for the professional development to include training, coaching, and work assignment designed to promote team and individual growth
- Hire, manage and conduct performance and development reviews
- Manage workload and assist with issues across the HR spectrum
- Broad general knowledge of logistics and a deep working knowledge and skill set leading transportation and logistics operations in a complex, multi-site DC environment
- Strong negotiating and 3rd party management skills
- Deep working and technical knowledge of transportation management systems designed for problem solving, daily optimization and routing, and strategic/design optimization solutions
- People management and development
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in both oral and written format to all levels of leadership
- Ability to analyze large data sets using well-honed computer software skills to develop insights and conclusions for the business
- General working knowledge of transportation regulatory and compliance requirements
- Ability to think strategically and fiscally from an overall company perspective
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Logistics, or related field required. Requires a minimum of 4-6 years relevant work experience with at least 3 years operating in a large scale operations environment and/or management role. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Apply on company website