The SBA Credit Underwriting Officer I assists credit administration and the commercial lending departments with the structuring, underwriting and documentation of larger and more complex SBA loan requests. This role also provides on-going monitoring of the credit exposure once the transaction is consummated and assists loan groups with overdraft approvals and other transactions requiring credit concurrence.
Successful incumbents possess strong analytical, time management, verbal and written communication skills and are accountable. Position Responsibilities:
- Provides complete analysis of larger and more complex SBA loan applications, and reviews existing relationships utilizing the various underwriting methods as established by Credit Administration.
- Independently prepares and/or updates appropriate RECAP documentation for large and/or complex requests. Recommends and negotiates covenant package with CBO and participates along with SBA Advisor/RM in client/prospect conversations and asks follow-up questions as appropriate.
- Assists ACAO and loan groups with all forms of audits (AQR, Internal, compliance) and regulatory exams (safety and soundness, SNC). Assists lenders with ongoing maintenance and management of loan portfolio including customer contact and follow-up on credit issues.
- Serves as mentor to junior underwriters in underwriting transactions and reviews recaps prior to presentation to Department Committee.
- Investigate title searches, surveys and UCC searches and facilitate resolution.
- With a solid understanding of loan documentation and legal issues, communicates with outside counsel to facilitate the documentation process; maintains overall portfolio quality within established parameters (i.e. limit risk rated loans to less than or equal to 10%, limit past due loans over 30 days or less, etc.).
- Actively participates in loan approval discussions and signs off on real estate appraisals, environmental reports, M&E appraisals prior to loan closing.
- Review and document SBA eligibility and exceptions to Credit Policy.
- Work with SBA Advisors to evaluate and structure loan requests.
- Make recommendations to approve decline or modify loan requests.
- Work with SBA Advisors and SBA Operations to ensure loans are closed and funded properly (e.g., client follow-up).
- Manage individual workload so that credit decisions and post-approval due diligence tasks are completed within parameters established by U.S.-SBA's SOPs, Credit Policy, Service Level Agreements, and department goals.
- Has strong understanding of SBA and Comerica processes and ensures self and LOB's are adhering to proper procedures.
- Refer cross selling opportunities to Bank's internal partners.
Apply on company website