MGING DIR PORTFOLIO MGT WEST COAST
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
Leader and manager of strategic, operating model, process, and talent management activities for the West Coast region of the Portfolio Management Group.A model for MVVP and responsible for inculcating the MVVP into West Coast regional colleagues, and holding all accountable for its principles.
Wealth Management Division: City National Rochdale
As a member of City National Rochdale, the company's Wealth Management group, you will provide white-glove service focused on intelligently personalized portfolio management for high-net-worth individuals, families, and institutions. For 30 years, City National Rochdale has helped clients achieve their goals, operating as a nimble, responsive, local boutique investment firm.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Strategy: Participate in all strategic endeavors and initiatives for the Portfolio Management team, including business model, operating model, organizational design, operational and technical support infrastructure, and talent management, in collaboration with the Sr Managing Director COO, Managing Director Portfolio Management, and Regional Leader Council members. Contemplate, understand, analyze, and collaborate regarding implications and ramifications across the Firm, ensuring communication, partnership, and ownership.
- Governance, Leadership, and Management: Partner and team with SMD COO and MD Portfolio Management in all governance and management aspects of the West Coast, spanning Northern and Southern California Regions. Active participant in Portfolio Management Council, participating in establishing policy and making decisions impacting Portfolio Management broadly. Collaborate with MD Portfolio Management and directly responsible for the talent management and career development of the West Coast Associate Portfolio Managers and Portfolio Analysts. Partner with MD Portfolio Management in formulating, determining, designing, and executing governance and management plans, endeavors, and initiatives for the West Coast.
- Continuous improvement: continuously and proactively analyze the business and performance and processes, and identify both strategic and tactical initiatives, process engineering, integration and streamlining endeavors and projects to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the West Coast and overall Group. Proactively manage and resolve day to day issues, streamline processes, and communicate with the MD Portfolio Management, West Coast Regional Leaders, and West Coast PM teams. In conjunction with MD Portfolio Management and Regional Leaders, coordinate Service and Operating Models for consistency across the West Coast.
- Lead the implementation and execution of large, strategic, long-term, and complex projects designated by the SMD COO for the benefit more broadly for the PM Group and the Firm, and clients/advisors. Influence and direct teams to ensure that project support, execution, and implementation adheres to company standards, tools, processes, etc. Drive to results maintaining an outward mindset and Firm's objectives, within budgetary constraints. Lead and manage all elements of the project.Leads change management on the West coast where change is difficult and hard to absorb and adapt.
- People and Talent Management:Collaborate with the MD Portfolio Management, to communicate, implement, and continue assessing and improving all Talent Management and Development Programs within the West Coast. Oversee all training and learning programs for the West coast. Proactive oversight of West Coast individual development of teammates over multiple Stages of Development spanning years to ensure realization of career potential. Provide clarity of communication across West coast organization regarding talent management and training including outlining ownership, accountability, responsibilities, progress, corrective measures, ensuring appropriate assignments and opportunities, feedback and coaching.Regional Leaders: in conjunction with SMD COO and MD Portfolio Management, advise, collaborate and partner with West Coast Regional Leaders. Assist in the development of a Firm wide mindset and perspective, a Management mindset and perspective, a Group wide mindset and perspective, a follow up and follow through mindset, and a governance mindset.Recruiting: Collaborate with the MD Portfolio Management, to implement all recruiting processes on the West Coast. Responsible for the training and certification of PM teammates to participate in recruiting and interviewing. In conjunction with MD Portfolio Management and CNB Recruiting Partner, and Regional Leaders lead all recruiting, interviewing, and decision-making for all hires for PM2, Associate Portfolio Manager, and Portfolio Analyst roles for the West Coast. Participate in all interviewing, including for Portfolio Manager level candidates.Performance Management: collaborate with MD Portfolio Management to lead and drive all performance management activities throughout the year for the West coast, including ongoing evaluation and assessment, feedback, and coaching of all West Coast teammates. In conjunction with Regional Leaders, direct, lead, advise, and communicate with all West Coast Portfolio Managers for their responsibilities, execution, feedback, appraisals, ratings, and process. Collaborate with MD Portfolio Management and Regional Leaders regarding all assessments for candidates for promotion. Mentor and coach all individual candidates for promotion. Collaborate with MD Portfolio Management and Regional Leaders regarding compensation for West Coast Associate Portfolio Managers and Analysts, and newly promoted teammates to PM2 and Associate Portfolio Manager, for both year-end and mid-year actions and decisions. Normalize and ensure appropriate leveling and perspective of all elements of process, reviews, compensation across West Coast teams, offices, and regions. Staffing and Administration: Partner with the SMD COO and MD Portfolio Management in managing the Portfolio Management Group budget, headcount, and economics, ensure appropriate and frequent communications, responsible and accountable for all PM teams across the West Coast. Assess staffing and business growth to meet the needs of each PM team and business in general. Plan ahead and create analyses for justification of West Coast hiring plans. Evaluate and assess and plan for all hires across West Coast teams.
- Misc: Oversee all risk, compliance, legal, and audit requirements for the West Coast, and partner with Head of Business Affairs in analyzing, assessing, and resolving all issues.Oversee administration, space, cost center management, and conduct ad hoc analyses. Collaborate with Technology and Client Service.
- Report to, consult with and to, and partner with the MD Portfolio Management.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Master's Degree
- A minimum of 18 years total experience in an operating management role, preferably within financial services, investment management, or portfolio management administration
- A minimum of 10 years of experience managing large, complex projects
- A minimum of 10 years in a leadership role
- A minimum of 10 years managing people processes and teams
Skills and Knowledge
- MBA or JD preferred
- Elite presentation and communication skills
- Elite analytical and problem-solving skills
- Elite leadership and team building skills
- Elite governance knowledge and capabilities; ownership mindset
- Outward and fiduciary mindset
- Ability to work effectively with other functional and C-leaders and teams to accomplish strategic goals
- Must possess an “executive” presence and skills to build strong, working relationships, and to build a highly functioning team
- Strategic thinker, thinks geometrically, able to pragmatically assess and recommend a course of action; drive to results
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deliver high-caliber results
- Strong financial and business acumen and savvy; understands nuances of running a business unit and a P&L
- Leader of people; understands the complexities of managing people and teams; understands governance of an organization and the dynamics of its functions and people; understands managing with strong personalities who are not aligned or consistent; understands the detailed nature and investment in individuals to motivate, mentor, coach, and grow over years
- Excellent and extensive talent management experience and skills
- Cares, every day in every way
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL
We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish. City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Apply on company website