CREDIT OFFICER LEAD CB
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY? Participates in the loan management process by providing credit and loan underwriting expertise to a team of Commercial Banking Relationship Managers. Is client facing and manages all aspects of credit relationships for clients. Provides credit product expertise in an advisory capacity and ensures all due diligence and background evaluation is complete and thorough before credit approval is granted. Provides workflow oversight and delegates team assignments.
Commercial Banking Division
As a member of City National's Commercial Banking group, you will help to provide expertise and financing solutions to mid-market businesses and organizations with professional management, headquartered in the United States. By listening and understanding the client's needs, the team delivers specialized service and industry-specific expertise to help solve challenges for companies that are growing.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- 50%-70% Staff Supervision
- Manages workflow and priorities in conjunction with or in the absence of the Credit Manager. Determines and assigns work assignments to team of Credit Officers and Credit Analysts based on experience, availability, and portfolio complexity and size.
- Provides technical guidance to and reviews the work of less experienced Credit Officers and Credit Analysts. Guides and assists the Credit Officers and Credit Analysts in research, credit structuring, financial analysis, etc. for complex accounts.
- Responds to questions or inquiries from internal and external clients concerning credit policies, procedures, structuring, etc. before it is elevated, if necessary, to the Credit Manager.
- Monitors performance, gives on-going performance feedback and participates in conducting effective performance appraisals. Trains, coaches, counsels and provides general direction and guidance to staff.
- Develops and motivates team members; identifies staff development needs and provides educational/training opportunities.
- Assists the Credit Manager in departmental reporting of past dues, portfolio reviews, etc.
- 30%-50% Portfolio Management
- Evaluates and examines credit requests in order to assess credit worthiness including loan quality, credit risk classification, loan structure, collateral analysis, pricing and adherence to Bank policies.
- Attends client meetings at Relationship Manager, CB Manager or Credit Manager's request to facilitate delivery of the credit product and/or or assist in problem resolution.
- Provides balanced and appropriate credit guidance to Relationship and CB Manager and collaborates in determining appropriate credit strategy.
- Provides input to the Relationship Manager and CBS Manager when loan pricing does not appear to reflect inherent risk in subject transaction. Pricing may be either too high or to low.
- Manages the financial analysis and preparation of the CRR. This includes ensuring that the CRR contains a well supported recommendation or decision; the risk rating is correct and supported; and the data and analytics used to support the decision are accurate and calculated correctly.
- Collaborates with team members by providing credit alternatives and creative ways to structure credits ensuring that transactions are within profitability and portfolio risk standards. Authors credit approval memorandum.
- Restructures loans and/or lines of credit as required. Assumes accountability for minimizing Bank losses.
- Manages team delinquencies both matured loans and past due monitoring items.
- Have primary role in early problem loan identification and the timely and accurate changes in loan grades. Monitors and takes initiative to respond to past dues based on information provided by the Relationship Manager.
- Performs quarterly financial reviews of client's financial condition including monitoring covenants and conditions. Communicates and discusses findings with the Relationship Manager and CB Manager, where necessary.
- Performs portfolio reviews and responds to questions raised in internal and external audits and examinations.
- Works with Credit Administration to facilitate an accurate and timely credit decision and optimal credit strategy.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge on all Bank lending policies and regulations. Confers with the Manager and appropriate Bank personnel regarding new/existing lending requirements and regulations.
- Acts in accordance with Bank' credit culture and strategies.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum 7 years experience in underwriting medium to large sized and moderately-complex commercial credit required.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in a banking or financial services environment required.
Skills and Knowledge
- College degree in Business Administration or a related field and/or a minimum of five to eight years experience in underwriting large and complex commercial credit and consumer loans, which includes analyzing, interpreting, and evaluating financial statements, cash flow analysis, familiarity with various industries, collateral issues and values, loan structuring and guarantor personal financial statements and tax returns.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Highly knowledgeable in commercial credit policies and procedures.
- Strong credit analysis and accounting skills with the ability to communicate skillfully and effectively in both verbal/written forms.
- Ability to assume responsibility and accountability for decision making.
- Ability to work well independently and in teams and interact effectively with all levels of Bank personnel and outside contacts
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish. City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies.
#LI-TTEqual Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Apply on company website