CREDIT RISK REVIEW OFFICER SENIOR
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
The Credit Risk Review Department (CRR), is part of the 3rd line of defense, and as such is independent of all credit granting, adjudication, operations, and risk management practices performed by the 1st and 2nd lines of defense. CRR's mandate is to independently assess and opine upon the overall credit risk and effectiveness of credit risk management processes of the Bank. CRR also serves as an internal advisor to lending units and credit administration / risk management to identify, recommend and effect process changes regarding credit risk management activities, regulatory issues related to credit risk, credit policy, and general credit underwriting guidelines; identifies current or potential problems regarding the assessment of credit risk and the administration of Bank credit/loan exposure; analyzes and monitors the quality of various retail and commercial credits that represent the wide range of credit products offered by the Bank. Evaluates Credit Policies/Credit Process and assures that proper credit controls are in place to fully satisfy safety and soundness standards established by Bank regulators; monitors adherence to such polices and validates that exceptions are adequately identified, fully justified and properly approved. May lead credit review examinations, prepare final reports, and conduct overall meetings with Bank departments.
Third Line of Defense
[relevant blurb here]
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Scope, lead and manage examinations of various types of credit portfolios and credit processes.
- Performs risk based independent reviews of all types of CNB loan portfolios (including quality assurance document and underwriting reviews) to identify current or potential problems, as well as positive elements, regarding the assessment of credit risk and the administration of Bank credit/loan exposure.
- Determines the accuracy of assigned internal credit risk ratings, non-compliance with CNB policies and procedures, loan weaknesses so that timely corrective actions can be taken, violations of laws and regulations and inadequate credit/collateral documentation.
- Identifies, recommends and effects process changes as related to credit risk management activities, regulatory statutes, credit policy and general credit underwriting guidelines.
- Interprets and evaluates Bank Credit Policy and assures that proper credit controls are in place to appropriately manage credit risk. Monitors adherence to such policies and validates that exceptions are adequately identified, fully justified and properly approved.
- Acts as internal advisor/partner to CNB's line units regarding loan and credit matters and provides guidance in areas that require further development.
- Maintains awareness of the current regulatory/industry trends impacting the Bank's credit areas.
- Promotes teamwork within the department to ensure that knowledge and experience is shared among team members.
- Prepares departmental reports and other portfolio reporting as requested by management.
- Complies fully with all Bank Operational and Credit policies and procedures as well as all regulatory requirements (e.g. Bank Secrecy Act, Know Your Client, Community Reinvestment Act, Fair Lending Practices, Code of Conduct, etc.).
- Completes all required training and special projects as requested.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Bachelor's Degree in finance, economics or accounting
- Minimum 10 years of credit examination experience as a commercial lender, regulator or credit review officer
- Minimum of 5 years of MS Office experience
Skills and Knowledge
- Completion of a formal credit training program at a commercial bank a plus.
- Previous experience in leading teams of examiners is highly desirable.
- Strong understanding of analyzing various types of middle market credits required.
- A thorough understanding of analyzing various types of commercial credit including corporate, syndicated, and leveraged loans is highly desired, along with understanding of high net worth and private client lending and retail loan products.
- Thorough knowledge of Probability of Default (PD) and Loss Given Default (LGD) systems required.
- Must be able to lead a team of examiners in the successful completion of credit risk review activities and related projects.
- Must be able to work successfully in a client focused, consultative work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong verbal and written communication skills, and strong project management skills.
- Thorough knowledge and operational skills in the use of personal computers and various software packages, including Excel and Word.
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL
We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish. City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies.
City National Bank requires all colleagues to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work on-site at any of our locations.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Apply on company website