Description Position at VON Canada
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: Finance Department
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days
On Call: No
The Senior Director Finance provides oversight of the audit and budgeting processes across VON, ensuring all relevant staff and external vendors are meeting VON standards and principles in the execution of finance work. The Senior Director provides coaching and guidance to senior managers, including REDs and VPs, on their finance responsibilities and best practices for VON.Key Responsibilities:
- Oversees and manages the year-end audit for VON Canada and all related parties, and VON Canada Pension Plan, including coordination with auditor and attendance at all Finance and Audit committee meetings.
- Prepares audited financial statements for VON Canada consolidated, VON Nova Scotia, VON Ontario and VON Canada Pension Plan.
- Conducts internal audit function on entity general ledgers and review of their quarterly and annual working papers as requested from time to time for the financial statement preparation and coordination.
- Prepares unaudited financial statements and consolidates reporting and analysis for VON Canada.
- Oversees the preparation of consolidated financial statements and reports for VON Canada to the appropriate authority.
- Manages and oversees the completion of the T 3010's for VON Canada, VON Nova Scotia and VON Ontario.
- Supports Senior Finance Managers and site staff to produce monthly financial statements and variance reporting.
- Works with managers to support monthly reporting to RED's and explanation of the financial results and balance sheet issues as required.
- Manages and oversees the maintenance and further development of the budget model and financial reporting in the BOARD software, including maintenance of user security, system upgrades, coordination of work and enhancements with external consultants and end user training (RED's DED's VP's and Managers) and develops end user guidance and documentation.
- Assists with the preparation of the quarterly reporting for the Finance and Audit Committee and Board of Director meetings.
- Supports labour relations in application of the Collective Agreement changes.
- Remains up to date with changes in GAAP and provides the Finance team with support and direction in implementing these changes. Ensures attendance at annual updates offered by professional advisors where available.
- Assists with the development of monthly reporting for the VP's or Directors as required from time to time.
- Attends the Pension and Benefits Committee annually when audited financial statements are presented.
- Promotes the strategy of VON and their role as an integrated community care provider to all stakeholders and staff
- Prioritizes and ensures alignment of emerging opportunities in the community with VON strategic plan
- Provides leadership in navigating the requirements and complexities of unionized and non-unionized environments
- Coaches, advises, motivates, and provides leadership to staff; creates a positive workplace for staff
- Promotes the Lean team management approach to ensure a common paradigm of management and discipline of management practices
- Provides leadership and commitment to building client and family engagement and following accreditation Canada Standards
- Provides leadership in the promotion of a safe and healthy workplace ensuring workplace conduct and activities are in accordance with the provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, that KPIs related to safety are regularly reviewed by management, that appropriate investigations occur when needed, and plans to address issues are created and acted upon
- Promotes the use of technology-based systems for the capture, transformation and distribution of knowledge
- Abides by all confidentiality and protection of personal information policies, regulations and practices and ensures appropriate safeguards are in place in the Region
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Must have a university degree preferably in Accounting or Finance.
- Professional accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA.)
- A minimum 10 years' experience, including experience managing people within a finance department and experience in financial reporting, preparing consolidated financial statements, managing the annual external audit process, and budgeting and budget processes.
- Strong technical knowledge of Canadian GAAP, specifically in a not-for-profit environment.
- Experience in implementing process improvements and accounting policies.
- Knowledge of CRA legislation and reporting for charities, including filing T3010's and donation receipting.
- Commitment to achieving results and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills with particular competence in SAP, Board, and MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Competent in Lean six sigma principles
- Competency in accounting for investments principals.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required.
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required.
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas.
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: fast-paced environment; attention to detail; lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; walk, sit, stand, and climb stairs; grip and fine hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Apply on company website