Description Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Are you looking for a challenging, rewarding career in nursing? Join the VON team and make a difference in the lives of our clients in your community by delivering exceptional care. VON nurses collaborate with community health teams to provide client-centred health care in homes, community settings and clinics. Come work with us - it's a job that matters!
If you asked a VON nurse why they love working here, they would say:
- I get to work to the full scope of my practice
- I use independent judgment to make decisions for my clients
- I get to provide home care to clients who need it
- I love being out and around in my community helping people
- Clients really appreciate the service and care that we provide them
- I am able to ensure my client is comfortable while providing palliative care in their home
- I get to work with amazing co-workers
Are you a new graduate, retired nurse or nurse looking to enter back into the nursing field? You may qualify for the Community Commitment Program for Nurses (CCPN) through Health Force Ontario. This program provides a $10,000 incentive to eligible nurses in exchange for a 12-month commitment to an eligible employer. To view eligibility requirements, click here: www.healthforceontario.ca/ccpn
The Registered Practical Nurse is responsible for the provision and management of client and family centered, evidence-based, efficient nursing care to individuals and families in their homes and community. The Registered Practical Nurse ensures care is provided within the framework of quality & risk management and the standards and scope of practice set by VON and the relevant provincial regulatory body. The Registered Practical Nurse is responsible for safe and appropriate teaching, assignment and delegation of tasks to different categories of workers.
- Provides nursing care to predictable clients who have less complex care needs via an established plan of care. When providing care to clients with more complex needs and unpredictable health outcomes, must consult with an RN (or other appropriate health care provider).
- Manages and facilitates care via an established nursing care plan and evaluate client responses to interventions.
- Provides cost-effective, organized, outcome directed care on an ongoing basis.
- Provides complete, relevant assessment of the client and family and their environment utilizing established procedures.
- Obtains relevant information for care from the client, family and appropriate members of the healthcare team.
- Documents all relevant information clearly, concisely, accurately and appropriately according to VON standards.
- Describes and documents assessment findings utilizing established procedures. This includes the documentation of a client's and family's reaction to care.
- Documents problems identified using a specified framework and focuses care on appropriate problem areas utilizing established procedures.
- Contributes to clients' care plans in collaboration with the health care team.
- Selects and implements strategies or interventions from established care plans in consultation with the client and/or caregiver and health care team.
- Documents and provides rational for modifications to the care plan, such as changes to the visit schedule.
- Negotiates with client and the family during delivery of care while respecting client choices.
- Incorporates current research findings into clinical practices.
- Provides rationale for referrals, increase or decrease in visits and for discharge based on relevant, sound data and established guidelines.
- Identifies and utilizes tools and resources for relevant work and manages these resources.
- Assigns care to other workers and involves the client and family in client care as appropriate.
- Refers clients to appropriate category of nursing care provider and to other disciplines utilizing established guidelines.
- Promotes client-directed care, self-care and independence through teaching.
- Shares clinical knowledge to enable clients, family and the community to make informed choices in determining health and service needs.
- Utilizes adult learning principals and established teaching materials to provide health teaching to clients and families.
- Promotes involvement of the client family in determining health and service needs.
- Participates in the development of heath policies and nursing practice standards through involvement in VON, professional organizations and community organizations.
- Practices in accordance with the quality and risk management framework of VON Canada and Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Plans, implements, evaluates and adjusts care in accordance with customer focused expectations by seeking input from clients to assure that service meets needs.
- Participates in decision making and follows up to promote continuous quality improvement.
- Functions in accordance with the VON policies, procedures and strategic direction of VON Canada.
- Collaborates with management staff and colleagues in the evaluation of own practice and maintains competence through continuing education and self-reflection.
External and Internal Relationships:
- Works collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team and acts as a clinical resource and mentor for other care providers, staff and students.
- Engages regularly with clients, their families and caregivers. Provides education and support to engage clients and families in independence.
- Participates actively with other healthcare professional organizations and the community to promote nursing best practices.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Must have a License as a Registered in the province of practice.
- For positions requiring expertise in a specific field of clinical practice additional degrees or certificates may be required.
- Clinical practice experience is an asset.
- Experience in community health is an asset.
- Ability to observe and make effective assessments of clinical issues.
- Able to initiate and support health teaching, facilitation and development.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with particular proficiency in interviewing relevant stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal relationship building skills with the ability work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to problem solve and to adapt to nursing interventions as appropriate.
- The capacity to adhere to strict confidentially.
- Able to articulate effectively knowledge of components of quality and risk management principles as they relate to clinical practices.
- Effective time management skills that allow for the independent planning and organizing of daily work activity.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or a Child Abuse Registry Check may be required.
- Available to work flexible hours.
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Fast-paced Environment; Attention to Detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Fine hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Apply on company website