Description Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Permanent, Part-Time (0.8 FTE)
Program: Assisted Living Services
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 60
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
On Call: Yes
Location: City of Kingston
Personal Support Workers will be responsible for providing companionship, personal care and health maintenance services to clients in their home or throughout the community within the framework of VON's philosophy, policies, standards and legislation. As a Personal Support Worker you will work with members of the Healthcare and Personal Support teams to meet the needs of clients in obtaining an optimal level of independence and well-being.
This position is eligible for the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care's Personal Support Worker (PSW) Wage Enhancement Initiative for direct patient/client care.
- Observe the individual/family home and personal situation continuously to determine any need for change in personal support or professional assistance
- Contribute to the development of the personal support care plan, in conjunction with the Supervisor
- Implement the care plan, including:
- Promoting self care and independence
- Providing personal care, as directed by the Supervisor, which includes ambulatory assistance, meal planning and preparation, light housekeeping, respite, training, providing medication assistance, etc.
- Advocate on the client's behalf to the Program Manager
- Requesting assessment by a health care professional as needed
- Continuously evaluate the personal support care plan to determine if the client's needs have been met
- Personal Support Worker or Developmental Services Worker certification is mandatory
- Nursing students are welcome to apply. Must have completed first year of RPN and second year of BScN to be eligible
- Gentle Persuasive Approaches course completion an asset
- Current CPR and First Aid certification will be requested
- Experience working with the following clients groups is an asset:
- Seniors, peadiatric's, mental health, cognitive impairment, obstetrics, palliative/oncology, ill individuals
- Alzheimer's or dementia's
- Household management experience
- Ability to adjust to working in different social and economic environments
- Awareness of community resources is essential
- Must be able to communicate well, both written and verbally
- Must have good critical thinking, assessment and problem solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team, take direction well and work independently
- Willingness to travel to neighboring communities
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Cet article est disponible en français. Pour en demander une copie, veuillez téléphoné notre emplacement VON Kingston, numéro (613) 634-0130.
Apply on company website