Description Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Casual
Program Name: Transportation
Work Schedule: Days
On Call: No
The Driver, Client Transportation provides regular assistance to clients by transporting them from their homes to designated facilitates. The Driver attends to client needs while they are in his or her custody.
- Ensure the safe transportation of clients in an accessible vehicle as scheduled
- Ensure any necessary certification is completed as directed
- Maximize safety through daily maintenance of the driver's primary vehicle and ensure all necessary certification is current
- Complete vehicle log sheets regularly
- Provide support to clients as needed, including carrying and safely securing clients' equipment at pick up and drop off locations
- Abides by all confidentiality and protection of personal information policies, regulations and practices and ensures appropriate safeguards are in place within their role
- Abide by the VON Volunteer/Community Support Services Driving Agreement
- Abides by all VON policies and work practices including any event and incident reports
- All other duties as assigned and delivery of service according to schedules
External and Internal Relationships:
- Regularly engage with and support clients in the process of meeting their transportation needs
Education, Designations and Experience:
- High school diploma
- A minimum of one year of experience working with seniors and adults with disabilities
- Experience with, and physically capable of, handling vehicle restraints
- Able to work with accessible equipment e.g. wheelchairs, motorized scooters, walkers, mechanical lifts and Q-straint tie down system.
- Reliable, dependable, and flexible.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 35 pounds using appropriate lifting techniques.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Must be able to engage in physical activity as a regular component of the job.
- Ability to speak French is an asset.
- Must possess a valid driver's permit and a clean driver's abstract. The abstract must be obtained annually.
- Must have valid G class driver's license.
- Must provide proof of required insurance coverage when using personal vehicle.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of employment.
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or a Child Abuse Registry Check required.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Apply on company website