Description Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Temporary, Part Time (0.3 FTE)
Program Name: Sakura House
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 22.5
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Anticipated End Date: 11/30/2020
On Call: No
The Cook is responsible for performing food preparation and cooking duties within specific nutritional guidelines as required for daily meal preparation for palliative care patients residing. Must be able to work some weekends and holidays.
- Prepares food in accordance with the approved menu, current standards, guidelines, and regulations.
- Maintains quality of food served, quantity prepared and sanitation of food preparation area.
- Familiar with the specific needs of clients e.g. diet restrictions, allergies and special requests/accommodations
- Ensures ordering of required ingredients and supplies.
- Assists with the process for checking and receiving of deliveries and inventory control.
- Ensures all supplies are stored, labelled, and rotated properly.
- Maintains, clean, neat and safe working environment.
- Follows disposal procedures according to established waste management guidelines for organics, paper, plastics, cans/bottles, non-recyclable material, etc.
- Reports areas and equipment in need of repair to the maintenance department.
- Ensures kitchen appearance meets established standards for cleanliness and organization as per Public Health Standards.
- Observes problems, concerns, issues observed with food service and communicates them appropriately.
- Adheres to all established policies and procedures.
External and Internal Relationships:
- Works closely with clients, staff members, volunteers and vendors.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent. Diplomas from a culinary school will be an advantage.
- A minimum of one year of experience in food preparation in hospitality or healthcare industry.
- Previous experience working in palliative term care environment is an asset.
- Food Handler's Certificate preferred
- Food Service Worker certificate preferred
- Ability to read, prepare and plan menus.
- Ability to prepare meals within time deadlines required.
- Knowledge of proper food handling, cooking to specific nutritional guidelines, temperature control, good hygiene and quality control are all required
- Capable of lifting moderate weight (e.g., food items or supplies) and carrying them short distances required
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with patients, staff and volunteers.
- Some traveling required.
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas.
- Current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check required.
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check required.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Apply on company website