Description Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Permanent, Part Time (0.5 FTE)
Union/Bargaining Unit: CUPE
On Call: Yes
This position will provide quality support and care for individuals registered with the In Home Respite Program. In collaboration with the Program Supervisor, the successful candidate will implement planned weekly leisure visits to clients in the comfort of the clients home. This role contributes to fulfillment of the VON Mission Statement to develop and/or promote programs to meet community needs.
- Contribute to the development of the care plan for each client admitted to the In Home Respite Program
- Implements, evaluates and revises care plans on an ongoing basis in collaboration with the family/caregivers and Supervisor
- Involves client in activities to stimulate mobility, language, reminiscing, group identity and listening skills of clients.
- Assist clients with ADL as required ( toileting, personal hygiene, assistance with the administration of medications utilizing the medication system of the program
- Collaborates with the Supervisor to identify risk factors and introduce interventions to minimize and eliminate client incidents • Ensure safety and security measures for the client
- Diploma or Certificate from a Community College level program or equivalent in health care, social science or recreation with an emphasis on gerontology.
- Current Red Cross CPR/First Aid and Food Handler's certificates required
- Certification with GPA, Montessori an asset
- Experience in working with adults, especially individuals with Alzheimer disease and other cognitive impairments and/or physical disabilities in a social setting a requirement.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Knowledge of community resources
- Valid driver's License and car insurance - must have a reliable vehicle
- Current criminal background check and vulnerable sector will be requested
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Face to face client/staff hours of service are eligible for enhanced PSW wages
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
Apply on company website