Be a part of a world-class academic healthcare system at UChicago Medicine as an Ophthalmic Technician with our Ophthalmology clinic in Hyde Park. The Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science provides medical and surgical treatment of eye diseases. The department members' interests include cataract surgery with lens implantation, transplantation including corneal diseases plus refractive surgery, vitreo-retinal surgery, and medical diseases of the retina including special treatment of diabetic retinopathy and age-related retinal degenerations, eye plastic surgery, strabismus surgery, and neuro-ophthalmology.
In this role, under the direction of the Eye Center manager, the Ophthalmic Technician assists the attending physicians in the exam and care of the Eye Center patients.
Essential Job Functions:
- Take patient medical, past medical, family, and medication histories. Record patient ocular history.
- Measure and record visual acuities and intraocular pressures.
- Evaluate the pupil, estimate the anterior chamber depth, and examine the eyes for afferent papillary defect.
- Administer eye drops, dressings, and shields.
- Assist physician in surgical procedures.
- Instruct the patient on post-operative care and documents accordingly.
- Exhibit basic knowledge and understanding of ocular motility, visual fields, contact lenses (basic principles & fitting procedures), and ocular pharmacology. Perform color vision, lensometry, exophthalmetry, Amsler Grid, and Schirmer testing.
- Maintain instruments, equipment, and a clean/sterile environment.
- Maintain supply inventory and orders accordingly.
- Prepare clinic for routine readiness review.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma or equivalent from an accredited academic body
- One year of satisfactory work experience under ophthalmological supervision
- Must be actively CPR certified
- The successful completion of an accredited program for Ophthalmic Technicians
- Job Type/FTE: Part-Time (0.5 FTE)
- Shift: Days – 8-hour shift
- Unit/Department: Ophthalmology
- CBA Code: Non-Union
In this role, we anticipate that you will generally work approximately 20 hours per week. We anticipate that you will generally be scheduled to work the first shift, from approximately 7:30am-4:00pm and will not be scheduled for on-call shifts. We anticipate you will be scheduled to work 100% at the Hyde Park campus. The days of the week that you are scheduled will be Wednesday-Friday. You will not be scheduled to work on weekends.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website