Job Title Land Steward - Niobrara Valley Preserve Job ID 48453 Location Nebraska Full/Part Time Full-Time Favorite Job Regular/Temporary Regular OFFICE LOCATION
Johnstown, Nebraska, USA
A LITTLE ABOUT US
The Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Land Steward performs and participates in preserve operations, maintenance and management. Job location is at the Niobrara Valley Preserve, located 16 miles north of Johnstown, Nebraska.
The Land Steward maintains preserve areas frequented by the visiting public and performs land management activities. The Land Steward removes exotic species and/or conducts species monitoring and may also manage livestock. The Land Steward may assist in prescribed burns and maintain tools, equipment and land. The Land Steward will open and close preserve to the visiting public and maintain preserve records using a database, PC or mobile device.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Supervises no staff, but may help plan and direct preserve work groups, including staff or volunteers.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain.
- May require long hours in isolated settings.
- Makes day to day decisions as delegated by supervisor.
- May work under infrequent supervision.
- Constructs and fixes/maintains cattle and bison fence
- Maintains livestock water sources (i.e. windmills, solar pumps, and tanks)
- Operates and maintains equipment/vehicles (i.e. ATVs/UTVs, chainsaws, 4WD vehicles, skid-steers/track loaders and attachments, and tractors)
- Maintains and repairs buildings/facilities and performs grounds upkeep
- Maintains roads/trails
- Controls invasive/noxious plant species (including herbicide application)
- Assists with controlled burns and wildfires
- Documents/maintains accurate records of land management/stewardship activities
- High school diploma or GED and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management.
- Experience recognizing plant and animal species.
- Experience operating various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g. Lawn mower, chainsaw, UTV, ATV or OHV, two-way radio, or similar equipment).
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. First Aid, CPR, herbicide or pesticide application).
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- 1 - 2 years’ experience in land management or related field.
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems.
- Ability to obtain driver’s license and maintain a good driving record.
- Ability to follow instructions from colleagues/coworkers/team members.
- Basic mechanical troubleshooting and welding experience
- Ability to safely haul/transport equipment and/or livestock with trailers
- Cattle and/or bison husbandry experience
- Selected applicant subject to background check
- PC and/or mobile device familiarity, including database knowledge or understanding.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." Please see further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at www.nature.org/careers.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 48453, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on February 20, 2020.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions related to this specific postition may be directed to email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.
Apply on company website