The Corporate Transactions Attorney is a key member of the Transactions and Governance subteam within the Legal Department of a rapidly growing restaurant company. The Corporate Transactions Attorney will provide direct support and leadership to the Transactions and Governance subteam and will be responsible for performing all legal aspects relating to commercial real estate, corporate, commercial and other transactions.
Essential duties include:
• General Managerial Duties:
o Providing assistance to the leader of the Transactions and Governance subteam in managing, supervising, and leading the Transactions and Governance subteam;
o Acting at direction of counsel or Team Lead and maintaining the strictest of confidence regarding materials he/she comes in contact with (which will include Company trade secrets, confidential information, and intangible assets);
o Creating training materials and checklists regarding work matters described below;
o Providing guidance and direction to Paralegals, Specialists, Coordinators and Legal Assistants on the Transactions and Governance subteam; and
o Providing process control, evaluating, and developing improvements in business processes or functions over which the Corporate Transactions Attorney is responsible as more particularly described below.
• Transactions and Governance Specific Duties:
o Real Estate:
• Conducting complex commercial real estate transactions, including: drafting and negotiating purchase contracts and retail leases (primarily in the form of ground leases);
• Negotiating acquisition related documents, such as amendments, cross-parking/access agreements, restrictive covenants and utility easements;
• Reviewing, negotiating, and approving site specific due diligence, including title insurance, surveys and environmental/geotechnical reports;
• Reviewing and commenting on title insurance commitment and land surveys (as needed);
• Analyzing and interpreting property and lease documents to determine rights and remedies available to the Company;
• Conducting real estate closings for leasehold and fee acquisition transactions; and
• Responding to property management requests made by field operators and Support Center partners and communicating effectively to such operators and Support Center partners.
• Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts for the Company, including, service agreements, non-disclosure agreements, confidentiality agreements, statement of work agreements, agreements for goods and order forms;
• Partnering with members of various departments within the Company to assist in the negotiation of various contracts; and
• Organizing and maintaining electronic contract files.
o Corporate Transactions:
• Performing research related to corporate documents and entities;
• Drafting corporate related documents such as organizational documents (including bylaws, operating agreements, articles of organization and articles on incorporation), management agreements, license agreements, board consents and related resolutions;
• Preparing and drafting organizational documents for new corporate entities;
• Drafting, tracking and maintaining specific delegations of authorities for employees within the Company; and
• Playing a leading role in strategic corporate transactions (such as franchise acquisitions and credit facility amendments), including drafting and negotiating relevant transaction documents.
• Assisting the leader of the Transactions and Governance subteam with the subteam's annual budget.
• Partnering closely with the various teams within the Legal Department, the Accounting Department, the Treasury Department, the Development Team, and the Risk Team, as well as our Outside Law Firm Partners;
• Interacting with senior leaders within the Company; and
• Managing outside counsel.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, gender identity, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, citizenship, national origin, or any other legally-protected status. We encourage and welcome all applicants to apply.
Education: Juris Doctor degree
Experience: 4 to 8 years relevant work experience in a corporate law department or major law firm; restaurant or retail experience preferred
Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft applications (Teams, OneDrive, OneNote, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe, and comfortable with databases and web-based processes preferred.
Certificates & Licenses: Bar admission
Other Skills: Professionalism, outstanding organizational skills, strong attention to detail, strong interpersonal skills, ability to multi-task and meet deadlines under pressure, and the desire and ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment required.
This job description includes essential functions and basic duties and is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document is not a contract of employment, and the Company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the Company may deem appropriate.
Apply on company website