Passionate, driven people dedicated to making a difference in healthcare.
SpecialtyCare is a leading provider of clinical services to hospitals. We partner with hospitals to drive, sustain, and accelerate high performance. We offer a portfolio of solutions that include neuromonitoring, perfusion, surgical assist, autotransfusion, minimally invasive surgical support, and sterile processing. SpecialtyCare's clinicians focus their efforts to improve operational efficiencies, improve outcomes, and maintain exceptional levels of satisfaction. We compete on results.The Position:
As an ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation) Specialist you will operate and maintain ECMO circuits for patients requiring long-term pulmonary and/or cardiopulmonary support. The ECMO Specialist functions interdependently following standing ECMO orders and parameters under the direction and clinical supervision by of an ECMO physician.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the physician, perfusionist and/or other clinical staff members with initiation of ECMO, the course and conduct of ECMO, and the conclusion of ECMO and any related therapies therein including but not limited to circuit or component changes, priming, blood bank communications, medication administration as licensure permits, and hemofiltration as examples.
- Demonstrate a culture of safety through a hand-off of the ECMO patient covering all aspects of the patient's care and the state of the ECMO circuit.
- Provide a detailed examination of the circuit to ensure its integrity, while written parameters and a plan of care are worked out during rounds.
- Ensure the continuity of the ECMO circuit as a whole, keeping it safe and secure during patient handling. Reducing the risks of circuit compromise by regular assessments is ongoing.
- Assesse blood gas values, anticoagulation parameters and other laboratory values and work within a prescribed set of parameters and guidelines to maintain the patient in an optimal state of well-being.
- Monitor anticoagulation, analgesics, inotropes and other infusions are titrated, blood products are ordered and given, and the ECMO pump flow and oxygenator gas flow adjusted as needed.
- Maintain regular effective communication with physicians, hospital and clinical staff, direct supervisors and back-up personnel and/or others as directed, in performing job duties, responsibilities and requirements when problems develop with equipment and/or personnel as established within SpecialtyCare protocols and policies.
- Complete all required documentation, charting and monitoring according to established protocols.
- Assist in data collection, quality improvement initiatives and research activities related to ECMO.
- Assumes responsibilities with other members of the ECMO Specialist team to coordinate in-house and on-call schedules.
- Comply with mandatory ECMO competency related trainings.
- Leverage ELSO guidelines and protocols.
- Perform other duties and works on special projects as assigned.
- Must possess one of the following education backgrounds, credentials and experience as an ECMO Specialist.
- Registered Nurse (RN) – holds either an Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from an accredited education program. Has an active RN license to practice.
- Respiratory Therapist – holds either an Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in Respiratory Therapy from an accredited education program and current Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) certification.
- Demonstrates a superior working knowledge of ECMO therapy including but not limited to the ECMO circuit and pump, adjustments to pump flow, sweep flow, FiDO2, anticoagulation therapy to maintain parameters within limits set by the physician, point of care testing, patient monitoring systems, and related policies and procedure guidelines.
The Successful Candidate:
The successful candidate must bring a high level of ethical, intellectual, professional and personal values that complement the team and company vision. The following competencies are highly valued:
- Focused on clinical quality and delivering the absolute best results for patients.
- Ability to adapt and thrive in a high stress environment necessary. Must have the ability to effectively manage varying and unpredictable situations.
- Excellent communication skills and basic computer skills are essential.
- Proven self-starter who works well independently and as a part of the OR team.
- Demonstrates a team first mentality.
- Lives the SpecialtyCare Values – Integrity, Respect, Teamwork, Sense of Urgency, Continuous Improvement, and Accountability.
SpecialtyCare is committed to supporting professional growth for our associates. Each associate is allocated funds for continuing education, membership fees, and dues for professional associations. We also provide tuition reimbursement or tuition repayment assistance. We provide a full benefits package including a matching 401K and generous PTO plan. We also cover the cost of maintaining certification and licensure.
SpecialtyCare is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
Employment with SpecialtyCare is at-willSC CVMT
Apply on company website