Smiths is always looking for curious minds. For new colleagues who want responsibility and relish a challenge. Those who would like to use their talents to help make the world safer, healthier, more efficient and more connected.
We're proud that we've been helping propel the human world forwards during our 160 year history of innovation. By looking at things differently. By adapting and never standing still. And by always thinking big.
Today we're an aligned global business of five divisions and around 22,000 colleagues, that touches the lives of millions every year across five vibrant global markets.
In Smiths Medical, one of the five divisions of Smiths Group, we touch the lives of millions of people every day. Our colleagues are focused on providing innovative, lifesaving solutions for patients around the world.
So whether you're an experienced professional or just starting out on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great career opportunities for the right colleagues. There's never been a better time to join Smiths. And help us create the future.
Smiths Medical is currently hiring a Senior Systems Engineer in Minneapolis, MN.
The Senior Systems Engineer will partner with peers in Systems, Software, and Electro-mechanical Engineering teams. Key deliverables for this role are technical requirements, modelling and simulation supporting data driven decision making, and general systems engineering artifacts. The project assignments range from new product development to fielded product changes, and sustainment. We are looking for a Senior Systems Engineer with a strong background in electrical engineering and control system development. The role in Research and Development will focus on the development of product requirements and other design inputs. This role will reside within the Systems Engineering Team whose charter is to grow and deploy systems engineering capability for product development across the Smiths Medical R&D. We grow that capability through continuous learning as a systems engineering team based on experience gained through project assignments.
Smiths Medical has a positive impact on someone's life around the world every minute of every day. In fact, over 240 people every minute benefit from a Smiths Medical product. Join us and grow your career while being a part of our continued success! We offer a fun, fast-paced, inspiring and collaborative work environment with opportunities to learn and contribute at all career levels. Innovation is part of who we are, with industry-leading products across a broad spectrum of medical device categories and a strong new product development pipeline.Duties & Responsibilities
- On new product development projects, the systems engineering function is responsible for the following outcomes:
- Requirements Management Plan – based on scope of project, identify systems engineering tasks, deliverables and milestones;
- Stakeholder Requirements – refine customer requirements into top-level system requirements that form the basis of system validation and input to systems requirements development;
- System Requirements – based on Stakeholder Requirements, develop overall system requirements;
- Risk Management Plan – scope of risk management activities to be performed
- Hazard Analysis – identify product risks, analyze and evaluate each risk, identify risk controls and verify risk controls;
- Risk Management Report – summarize product's risk profile and risk acceptability;
- Product Validation – showing that the finished product will meet the users needs in the intended use environment.
During subsystem development, the systems engineering function is responsible for explicating, correcting, and improving system specifications. Once the subsystems are verified, systems engineering supports the integration of subsystems, the final system evaluation and transfer to manufacturing.
On projects involving changes to fielded product, the senior systems engineer participates in change impact analysis and updates to the system specifications and risk documents.
All members of the system engineering team are expected to continuously grow their systems engineering skills through team experience/best practice sharing and other more formal training opportunities.
This position is required to assure compliance of Company operations to all applicable laws, regulations and standards, good business practices and company documented procedures (including knowledge of all standards, government occupational health and environmental regulations and statutes related to the site).
Engage others, promote, and participate in Environmental, Health, and Safety initiatives, focusing on continuous improvement.
- 4 year Engineering degree in an engineering discipline such as electrical, controls, or biomedical engineering combined with any of the these disciplines.
- 5-7 years of experience in developing safety critical systems or 3-5 years with an advanced engineering degree
- Medical device experience/regulated industry experience preferred.
- Understands systems engineering practices (INCOSE).
- Understands the process and techniques for decomposing system/product requirements.
- Use of requirements management tools such as DOORs.
- Use of modeling and simulation tools such as MatLab.
- Understands control systems, sensors, and actuators.
- Understands network communications (Ethernet, Wifi, Bluetooth).
- Understands the application of risk management to electronic, risk assessment tools, and related practices (e.g., FMEA, functional safety).
- Excellent collaboration skills.
- Excellent communications skills.
In addition to a competitive compensation package, Smiths Medical offers a comprehensive benefit package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K and much more!Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity.
Apply on company website