Provides professional services involving the analysis and study of aviation technical and operational issues and advises on methods and techniques to improve aviation system work processes, regulatory guidance, procedures, resources, management controls, information systems, documentation and similar functions. Based upon study findings, develops detailed recommendation on methods, procedures to apply an alternative means to improve aviation system performance. Determines information requirements and devises methods to secure it. Works in concert with team leaders and members engaged in the analysis and study of complex aviation technical and operational issues. Utilizes and applies knowledge of web information technology and associated tools such as adobe, sharepoint, etc. to provide an information format for Government and industry personnel and the general public.
Provide senior level technical support to FAA Flight Standards Flight Operations group analyzing and evaluating a wide range of commercial flight operations in leading edge flight technology environments. Provide expert analysis supporting the development of policy recommendations under Parts 14CFR91, 121, 135 and others, including a range of rule development, Advisory Circular development and other FAA regulatory guidance.
Participate technical support to a variety of FAA Flight standards efforts to enhance the safety and efficiency of flight operations in the national airspace such as:
- Support to Enhanced Flight Vision System (EFVS) project teams, FAA Principal Inspectors and aviation industry personnel to address training practices and streamlined application processes, enhancing lower visibility EFVS operations through expanded technology development and will serve to promote increased National Airspace System (NAS) airport safety and efficiency.
- Support review of FAA airports proposed policy document for obstacle removal.
Recommended inclusion of policy on runway length investment as a rational determinate of obstacle removal decisions. This best protects the public investment of airport funding
- Participate development of Airport Modification of Standard (MOS) process policy and
collaborate with team members to ensure AFS has an appropriate input for NAS operational safety aspects during the airport MOS review process
- Contribute to sessions supporting the Flight Standards (FS) to streamline the part 91 Letter of Authorization (LOA) application processes to accelerate approval.
- Participate in reviews of FS proposal to establish airports and terminal instrument procedure consolidated surfaces to improve National Airspace System (NAS) efficiency.
- Contribute to RTCA SC-213 developing standalone minimum aviation performance standards for developing quantified visual advantage for EFVS certification activities. This will assist original equipment manufacturers worldwide to apply a uniform approach enabling aviation authorities to grant an operational credit for instrument approaches
- Provide technical support to the FAA Flight Operations Group (FOG), reviewing guidance development efforts across diverse FAA divisions and industry groups, for example; an Aircraft Certification proposed policy document explaining a means to test for cockpit glare.
Master's Degree in aeronautics, aeronautical engineering, electrical engineering or similar aviation related discipline and 12 years of direct aviation experience concerning flight operations and, as appropriate, experience as a pilot with a commercial or airline transport pilot rating as well as direct experience either in developing, evaluating or managing aviation industry safety policies and programs, or developing, implementing and managing governmental aviation safety regulatory and oversight policies and programs, or a combination of both. Master's Degree may be waived with Bachelor's Degree and 20 years of experience in performing the above duties.
US Citizenship required with the ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance
Job location is 470 L'Enfant Plaza SW, Washington, DC 20024.
Required clearance is an SF-85P completed on site by the FAA.
Apply on company website