You are the driving force behind our company.
Start your career with Ryder today!
Under close supervision, the Technician I performs minor routine maintenance and repair services on different types of vehicles. Works with the assistance of a T2, T3, T4, TIC SS or SM, when performing technical and diagnostic type repairs. Task assignments are directed by shop management to encourage development in a productive manner.
- Performs basic vehicle maintenance. Perform component identification and minor repairs. Perform preventive maintenance with training and support. Diagnose minor mechanical and electronic problems, utilizing diagnostic computer when applicable. Identifies root cause of "minor" failures/conditions and perform repairs as required
- Performs facility maintenance duties
- Utilizes key functions of Shop Management System and electronic documentation available
- Interacts with customers/drivers to properly determine nature of complaint once assigned a task
- Works in accordance with all federal/ provincial and corporate compliance guidelines (i.e., safety, DOT,MOT)
- PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE: PM trained and qualified within 90 days (PM230 & PM298)Proper lube techniquesMinimal tire inspectionBrake check/applied strokeBattery checkUnder vehicle check/loose componentsFault code identification
- TIRE AND WHEEL MAINTENANCE: Tire & Wheel safety trained within 90 days (TW208)Perform air pressure checksCheck tread depthIdentify tires that need to be changed or repairedPerform tire P.M. checksReplace tire and wheel assemblies
- BRAKES - HYDRAULIC:Road test for proper operationMake visual inspections for leaksCheck park brake operationCheck fluid levelMeasure lining thicknessAdjust service brakesAdjust park brakes
- A/C AND HEATER:Operate the system and recognize if the system is cooling or not (PM related)Perform basic system checks such as power to compressor, condenser obstructions, belt tension, etc.
- BRAKES-AIR:Identify components of air brake systemOperate brakes and identify irregular noises, air leaksPerform simple air system testsMeasure lining thicknessAdjust brakesPerform air brake sections of P.M.
- CARGO HANDLING/TRANSPER, LIFTGATES:Identify leaksOperate lift gateIdentify make and modelAdd fluid to bring to proper level
- CHARGING SYSTEMS (electrical): HD electrical trained within 90 days (DR208)Visually inspect batteries, clean connections, check condition of belts, check alternator mounting and pulley and replace and adjust belts
- CRANKING SYSTEM (electrical):Inspect and test batteriesVisually inspect cables and cranking motorClean battery cables, connections and starterReplace batteriesCharge and check batteriesReplace or repair defective cables
- LIGHTING SYSTEM AND ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES:Repair minor wiring problemsRepair minor lighting problemsReplace bulbs, lenses and simple light assembliesReplace and adjust sealed beamsInstall or replace accessories such as heated mirrors, fans, radios, CB's, spotlights, electronic devises, etc.
- CLUTCH:Lubricate throw-out bearing, linkage, shafts and cablesIdentify proper clutch operationIdentify proper clutch brake operation and adjustAdjust hydraulic or mechanical clutches
- COOLING SYSTEMS:Check and adjust coolant levelsVisually inspect system for leaksMake minor repairs such as hose replacements, fan shrouds, leaking fittings, etc.Recognize permanent anti-freezes and their requirementsUse refractometerUse pressure tester
- DRIVE AXLES:Inspect housings for leaksChange oil and filter, if required, and clean breathers
- DRIVE LINE:Lubricate drive line
- DIESEL/GAS ENGINES-ALL ENGINES:Check and adjust oil levelsIdentify unusual noises and oil leaks
- FUEL SYSTEMS:Replace and prime fuel filterCheck gas and diesel fuel system components such as fuel lines, pickup tubes, return lines, etc. for proper integrity and condition
- STEERING AND NON-DRIVEN AXLES AND ALIGNMENT:Lubricate grease fittings, check and adjust fluid levelsCheck all steering components for wear
- SUSPENSION-CHASSIS AND CAB:Identify makes and modelsIdentify normal operationIdentify and repair air leaksIdentify malfunctions of basic nature, broken springs, excessive wear on bushings, etc.
- VEHICLE COUPLING SYSTEM (pm):Lubricate fifth wheel plate and slider mechanismOperate slider mechanism
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read and/or listen and understand information and ideas communicated
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Highly thorough and dependable
- Must be able to work "shift work" and weekends as required
- Strong mechanical skills
- Demonstrate mechanical aptitude and perform all entry level tasks
- Ability to create and maintain professional relationships within all levels of the organization (peers, work groups, customers, supervisors)
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Flexibility to operate and self-driven to excel in a fast-paced environment
- Capable of multi-tasking, highly organized, with excellent time management skills
- Detail oriented with excellent follow-up practices
- H.S. diploma/GED required
- Vocational or Technical Certification preferred post secondary vocational education
- One (1) year or more experience in transportation maintenance. Must have the minimum tools required as outlines in Maintenance policy 2.02 preferred
- Valid Commercial Driver License (CDL) CLASS A
Our people are passionate about what they do, the product they sell, and the customers they serve. If you're looking for an opportunity to be an opportunity to be a part of a work family that values collaboration, innovation and dedication, we're the right company for you.
Ryder is an equal opportunity employer. We value Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace and encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, visible minorities, aboriginals and persons with disabilities.
In accordance with our commitment to diversity and inclusion, Ryder welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment, selection, and assessment process. Should you require an accommodation, please inform the Human Resources representative of the nature of the accommodation requested so that we may discuss your needs with you. If you require assistance in order to apply please contact us at 905 826-8777 extension 7.
Ryder est un employeur offrant l'équité en matière d'emploi. Nous valorisons la diversité et l'inclusion en milieu de travail et nous encourageons tous les candidats qualifiés à postuler, y compris les femmes, les minorités visibles, les autochtones et les personnes avec un handicap. (L'emploi du genre masculin dans ce texte ne se veut pas discriminatoire et n'a pour but que de l'alléger)
Conformément à son engagement envers la diversité et l'inclusion, Ryder accueille et encourage les candidatures de personnes handicapées. Des accommodements peuvent être proposés sur demande pour les candidats qui participent à toutes les sphères du processus de recrutement, de sélection et d'évaluation. Si vous nécessitez un accommodement, veuillez informer le représentant des ressources humaines de la nature de l'accommodement souhaité afin que nous puissions discuter de vos besoins avec vous. Si vous avez besoin d'assistance pour postuler, veuillez nous appeler au 905 826‑8777, poste 7.
Ryder operates behind the scenes, managing critical fleet, transportation and supply chain functions for over 50,000 customers, many of which make the products that consumers use every day. When you choose Ryder, you get access to industry-leading technology, one of North America's largest fleet of trucks, an expansive infrastructure of maintenance facilities and warehouses, and some of the most talented people in the industry.
Apply on company website