Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
Job SummaryPerforms duties in Central Sterile Processing Department in Decontamination, Instrument Preparation and Assembly, and Sterilization/Disinfection relating to cleaning and sterilizing instruments and equipment to be used in patient care. Disassembles complex instruments, supplies and equipment; sorts and inspects for damage and reports needed repairs. Selects the mode of decontamination best suited for items on hand. Assembles, prepares and packages instrument trays, surgical instruments, equipment, and specialty items. Determines the appropriate sterilization or disinfection method and follows appropriate steps for reprocessing. Follows strict documentation guidelines for tray management, biological/chemical test results, equipment functionality, and reprocessing steps.
- Receives, sorts, disassembles and processes contaminated instruments using the procedures and guidelines as established by Infection Control
- Assembles all instrument sets following prescribed manner and as outlined on the Instrument Count Sheets. Properly documents missing items from the set and labels sets correctly. Takes action to correct problems with instrument sets and reports any unresolved issues.
- Sterilizes instruments, equipment, linen and supplies using various types of autoclaves and aerators. Loads autoclaves in prescribed manner and sets controls to correct specifications for the items being sterilized. Completes appropriate documentation prior to sterilization and post-sterilization.
- Properly documents all activities related to instrument set assembly and sterilization in the Instrument Tracking System, (SPM) or established manual systems.
- Observe and interpret biological, mechanical and chemical monitors relevant to processing/sterilizing. Record results and maintains required records. Initiates recalls as required.
- Issues items to customers and departments according to established procedures.
- Assist with cleaning and maintenance of department equipment. Reports equipment requiring repair as needed.
- Observes and reports to supervisor, any unfamiliar items with or without appropriate processing literature. Is self directed and intervenes with corrections to variances in the processing practice.
This is a non-management job that will report to a supervisor, manager, director, or executive.
Job-related coursework beyond high school: Successful completion of Central Sterile Processing Education Program with certificate or proof of completion. OR, graduation from an accredited Surgical Tech training program.
In Lieu Of The Above Minimum Requirements
In lieu of the education requirement only, will accept High School diploma or equivalent and 1 year experience in either Sterile Processing or Surgical Technology.
Other Required Skills and Experience
- 1 year of Sterile Processing or Surgical Technology preferred
- Certification as a Central Supply or Central Sterile Processing Tech preferred
- Experience with Sterrad, Steam and ETO Sterilizers preferred
- Knowledge of Decontamination, Assembly, Packaging and Sterilization Procedures. Knowledge of various types of Surgical Instrumentation preferred
- As of Jan 2002, any Prisma Health employee working in a sterile processing role is grandfathered from the High School diploma or GED requirement of this job.
Work ShiftEvening (United States of America)
LocationGreenville Memorial Med Campus
Facility1008 Greenville Memorial Hospital
Department10088007 Central Sterile
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.
Apply on company website