The Carrier Sales Representative is primarily responsible for selling, developing & maintaining a portfolio of carriers, and acting as the liaison between account managers, outside sales and PTMD Operations. This position will recruit potential carriers for new or existing customer lanes. They will support Penske Operations to coordinate with these carriers for rates, lane dedications, potential RFQ/FRP responses and expansion of available power units. The position will obtain and negotiate competitive and high profitability rates using data analysis, market/industry expertise, systems and tools both internally & externally and manage the capacity generation and growth of the Penske 3rd party carrier base. This position will also work with Penske Operations to resolve any issues that may occur with the load from a carrier side. This role will be the SME of the Penske Brokerage carrier base and is expected to regularly communicate and support motor carriers in an effort to build the business relationship and find growth opportunities with these carriers.
This position can be based in Beachwood OH, Dearborn MI, or Reading PA.
Selling Carrier Capacity
• Strategize with Penske Operations and Management team to create a portfolio of carriers for current and prospective customers.
• Sell the value proposition to move freight with Penske to carriers.
• Ensure the carriers understand Penske Brokerage operational expectations and requirements.
• Reach out to potential carriers and recruit them for existing or new lanes being awarded by our customer base. Recruiting includes rate negotiation, and commitment of power units and needed equipment by carriers being recruited.
• Provide consistent and exceptional service levels to contracted carriers and internal customers.
• Take the entrepreneurial approach to create and drive a carrier sourcing strategy and responsible for selling to external carriers that successfully allows the Penske Brokerage team to meet its monthly, quarterly, and yearly goals.
Carrier Negotiations & Pricing
• Negotiate freight rates with motor carriers and provide impactful recommendation to internal operations/sales team to ensure maximum profitability for the customers while delivering high margins and volume back to Penske Brokerage.
• Understand that the pricing component is a critical step in the Penske Brokerage process and rates need to be developed through analysis and benchmarking to ensure maximum pricing integrity to the business.
• Act as a liaison between carriers and Penske Brokerage team to secure pricing and design a customized solution and deliver an in-person presentation to the carrier for approval.
• Participate in the implementation of their new carrier account by collaborating with operations to create a SOP that outlines the responsibilities and activities for both parties.
• Negotiate with carriers to meet margin requirements, approval of required criteria to haul for Penske and ensure maximum profitability.
• Maintain and grow relationships with carrier accounts.
• Identify services and pricing that meet customer needs to make business objectives.
• Negotiate rates with your carrier network through daily follow-up calls.
• Maintain solid understanding of current market conditions (seasonality) and business.
• Stay current with researching market trends and seasonality in the freight industry, responding to capacity related challenges by presenting viable solutions to Penske Brokerage operations teams.
• Use discretion and independent judgment when compiling rates, RFP's, when answering operations and sales requests and during proposal of best carrier selection to Brokerage team.
• Analyze current and historical lane level data to find capacity and negotiate pricing based on lane level data analysis in order to support freight shipping needs of Penske customers in specific geographical areas/markets.
• Evaluate customer trends, market constraints and seasonality factors in order to provide recommendations on carrier selection, identifying competitive rates and shipping efficiency.
• Analyze current carrier pricing and service levels to provide recommendations to operations to make alternate carrier selections for service improvement.
• Determine when carrier pricing is shifting or needs re-negotiated and reviewed with the carrier based on load or lane level analysis.
• Develop and assist with presenting carrier analytics, key trends and proposals during Carrier or customer QBR's
Carrier Management/ Carrier relations
• Develop carrier relationships in order to effectively support Penske customers.
• Maintain and develope close relationships with carriers through daily communication including conducting safety & security reviews and identifying opportunities for additional collaboration.
• Daily contact with carriers to determine availability and negotiate transportation rates.
• Develop and manage a network of outside carriers to ensure adequate capacity for their assigned market.
• Continually review carriers' capacity, to identify growth opportunities.
• Research new carriers in the marketplace, generating carrier leads, and develop new carrier relationships.
• SME of the Penske Brokerage carrier base and expected to regularly communicate, engage and support motor carriers in an effort to build the business relationship and find growth opportunities with these carriers.
• Consciously ensure that the role treats the carriers as our customers and promote an engaging relationship that makes the carriers want to continue to partner with Penske.
• Address operational issues or service failures directly with the carriers.
• Monitor service improvement in order to make decisions to remove carrier from Penske Brokerage carrier portfolio, with the support of Penske Brokerage leadership.
• Engage with the carriers as proactively as possible if issues arise
• Other projects as assigned by supervisor.
• Bachelor's degree required, concentration in Business Administration, Supply Chain, or relevent field of study preferred.
• 2+ years of sourcing/sales experience with a transaction oriented brokerage, or other related business.
• Proven track record in cold calling and carrier prospecting.
• Inside sales or customer service experience in a business-to-business environment.
• Successful track record of building relationships with stakeholders or customers that have resulted in high customer satisfaction.
• Knowledge of US traffic lanes, equipment types and various modes (air, ocean, truck, trailer, TL, LTL)
• Strong analytical and presentation skills, written/oral communication and organizational skills.
• Prior experience with Mercury Gate and RMIS preferred
• Skilled in the operation of MS Office software programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Must be able to work with other departments to increase overall productivity for the company.
• Ability to manage multiple projects with a sense of urgency while maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
• Strong negotiation and problem solving skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team, with a high degree of enthusiasm, professionalism and motivation.
• Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
• Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals withdisabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be
able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Logistics
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit www.PenskeLogistics.com to learn more.
Apply on company website