The Academic Advisor will provide academic advisement and career guidance to students within an assigned area/specialty. This position requires working closely with faculty and staff to provide support to students as they navigate through the educational process. The priority for this position is to ensure consistent institutional standards related to student enrollment, persistence and graduation.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide academic advising to degree seeking and non-degree seeking students; strategize with students on the timely completion of degree requirements and focus on academic/career success. Work with division faculty and staff to develop advisement strategies that specifically address the requirements of the program and the needs of our students.
- Interpret federal, state, and institutional polices and professionally communicate these to faculty, students, and staff. Maintain a current understanding of academic policies, procedures, and processes. Be familiar with policies involving accreditations and certifications related to specific degree programs.
- Assist students with schedule development and course registration (drop, add and withdrawal). Educate students on how follow a degree plan and utilize online enrollment.
- Advise students planning to transfer to other colleges and universities on issues related to course transfer, degree options and long-term career goals.
- Evaluate transcripts from other academic institutions for equivalencies and application to degree programs. Work with faculty and Registrar Services to maintain a database of transfer course equivalencies.
- Advise students in relation to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAPP). Prepare and monitor student educational plans in compliance with institutional and federal regulations.
- Increase student awareness of campus resources and programs which enhance the student's college experience. Make referrals to off campus community resources as needed.
- Serve as a liaison between the academic advisement team and other functional areas of campus. Disseminate information regarding assigned specialty/area of focus as needed.
- Assist with campus-wide persistence and graduation efforts. Plan and implement retention strategies specifically targeting students within an assigned specialty/area of focus.
- Assist with recruitment and student engagement efforts. Deliver presentations and distribute information to current and prospective students as needed.
- Promote degree completion and assist students with degree audits, My Academic Plans (MAPs) and graduation applications.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records and observe policies related to student privacy (FERPA).
- Participate in Advisement Team meetings/trainings, campus committees and on-going professional development opportunities.
- Participate in ongoing departmental documentation and process improvement efforts; Exhibit an understanding to this positions role in the campus semester plans, standard operating procedures, key performance indicators, etc.
- Completes all mandatory training and participates in a minimum of two professional development each year.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The duties listed in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration. Official transcripts will be required upon hire.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three years progressively responsible work experience in a related field.
- Experience working in a fast-paced and customer environment.
- Experience working in both collaborative/team environments and in positions that require individualized work with minimal supervision.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate diplomatically, clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing to exchange information, give/receive instructions and respond to inquiries appropriately.
- Exceptional problem solving and critical thinking skills required.
- Accurate typing/data entry skills and demonstrated ability to work with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated coordination, planning, and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities imposed by frequent deadlines, peak workloads, and public/student contact.
- Ability to work independently and also collaborate within a team environment while effectively managing multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to thrive in a high-paced and dynamic environment.
- Strong experience working with office technologies including but not limited to: office computers, scanners, internet, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Strong interpersonal skills to work and communicate effectively with all students, faculty, staff and community partners.
- Ability to perform basic math functions.
- Passion for assisting students with educational endeavors and representing the OSU-OKC and OSU brand with positivity and professionalism.
- Demonstrated history of ethical and professional behavior
- Experience in an educational and/or advisement environment.
- Background related to careers associated with the programs offered at OSU-Oklahoma City.
- Must be able to work flexible hours to include some nights and weekends.
- Work will be performed in an office environment with a significant amount of public contact, in person, by telephone, via email, and various communication platforms.
- Ability to work in a remote environment based on campus and departmental needs.
- Duties require extended periods of sitting, talking and listening.
- Duties require extensive use of computers, telephone and other office equipment.
- Requires possible lifting of up to 25 lbs. (If an object weights more than 45 lbs., OSU-Oklahoma City requires this to be a two-person lift).
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
Apply on company website