All Athletic Coach hires and work schedules for the 21-22 school year are contingent upon student enrollment, sports sign ups, and sports schedules developed for the 21-22 season.
- Instruct and coach students in the sport indicated.
- Help arrange playing schedules.
- Perform/assist in all coaching responsibilities associated with the position.
- Attenda all required meetings and trainings as specified by OAL
QUALIFICATIONS: All Candidates must meet all of the requirements listed below. Preference will be given to current certificated employees of Oakland Unified School District who possess a valid CA teaching credential.
- The following certifications are required:
- Injury prevention/treatment:
- Valid, current CPR card AND Valid, current First Aid card OR
- proof of completing a college-level course in the care/prevention of athletic injuries OR
- a valid EMT I of II card OR
- A valid Sports Injury Certificate.
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest
- Heat illness prevention
- Fundamentals of coaching training (high school) OR Coaching Essentials training (middle school)
- COVID Safety
HERE IS A LINK TO THE OAL WEBSITE FURNiSHING MORE DETAILS ABOUT HOW TO OBTAIN THESE TRAININGS
- Provide written evidence indicating knowledge of the coaching theory and techniques in the sport. Evidence may be college course work, prior-coaching experience in the sport, prior participation in the sport at the high school level or inservice training provided by a school district.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations of the sport at the high school level.
- Knowledge of adolescent psychology as it relates to sports participation. College courses or prior active involvement with youth in school/community sports programs will fulfill this requirement.
- Knowledge, skill and ability sufficient to maintain high standards of safety in all aspects of coaching at practices as well as contests.
- Demonstrated high ethical standards related to sportsmanship, fair play and relationships with students.
- Recognition of the need to communicate with parents / guardians and appropriate school staff members regarding problems or emergencies which may arise during a sporting event.
- Knowledge of school policies and California Interscholastic Federation (C.I.F.) policies related to athletics.
Overall Applicant Assessment:
Applicant must be able to meet the standards for the district's athletic program as carried out at each site, including the ability to instill teamwork, commitment and discipline as to players, developing positive relations and support from parents and the community and offering academic encouragement and support to students. Previous successful experiences coaching the sport at the level of the vacancy will be given additional weight in comparing candidates.
Apply on company website