Northwell Healths Behavioral Health Service Line and The Department of Psychiatry is seeking a full-time board certified psychiatrist to be the Vice Chairperson of the Department of Psychiatry at Staten Island University Hospital. We are seeking applicants with outstanding clinical and managerial skills who have a passion for leading, directing and developing an academically-oriented behavioral health center of excellence.
The Vice Chairperson will provide senior oversight of hospital-based services at Staten Island University Hospital. The Vice Chair will work collaboratively with hospital and health system leaders to meet and exceed the departments organizational, clinical, operational and financial goals. Responsibilities include clinician recruitment, education, supervision, strategic development, and process improvement initiatives.
As a leader, you will work to develop and expand comprehensive mental health services on Staten Island. The ideal candidate will work closely with the Chair, as well as an interdisciplinary clinical team to provide senior oversight of hospital-based services, including adherence to pertinent federal and state regulatory requirements.
As an innovator, you will identify and develop new clinical programs consistent with market opportunity, patient need and financial feasibility. The Vice Chairperson will ensure continued strong relationships with the community and work collaboratively with CBOs (Community-Based Organizations), local government and other entities, on program development.
As an educator, you will encourage academic research activities in partnership with The Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. The Vice Chairperson will contribute to scholarship and assist in setting and achieving overall near- and long-term goals of the Department of Psychiatry.
Behavioral Health Services at Northwell Health
Northwell Health Behavioral Health Services strives to address the diverse mental health needs of the communities we serve by providing a continuum of high-quality psychological services and behavioral health resources. These include:
- Emergency, inpatient, and outpatient services for people of all ages suffering from a variety of psychiatric & addictive disorders
- Expand access for behavioral health treatment and wellness services to the region
- Continue to build and develop strong educational and training programs in psychiatry and its related disciplines while expanding knowledge in the behavioral health sciences through clinical research
Recognizing that behavioral health is a concern across the lifespan, we focus on issues impacting all age groups, from children and adolescents right up through the growing geriatric population. We make sure that our services meet the needs of our consumers, and we partner with patients and families as we build for tomorrows community behavioral health needs. Working collaboratively across the health care system, we aim to continually identify and create optimal treatment environments and options, providing the necessary cutting-edge mental health services that keep our communities healthy and improve lives.
Focus on the Whole Patient
As the largest health care system in the New York metropolitan areaand the 13th largest in the nationpatients benefit from Northwell Healths entire continuum of care. Due to our extensive breadth and depth of clinical services, we are equipped to care for the most complex patients and meet 100% of their clinical, social, and emotional needs.
Comprehensive Depth and Breadth of Services
Northwell Health Behavioral Health Services strives to address the diverse mental health needs of the communities we serve by providing a continuum of high-quality psychological services and behavioral health resources. Staten Island University Hospital is a 668-bed specialized teaching hospital that occupies two main campuses and numerous community-based health centers and laboratories. Our 17-acre campus on Seaview Avenue in Ocean Breeze offers a wide range of services and features the islands most advanced emergency department (ED), a state-of-the-art education center, and more.
Education and Experience
- D. or D.O. Degree, or equivalent, from an accredited institution (ACGME or foreign program that is similarly appropriately accredited)
- Completion of a Residency in Psychiatry with Board Certification.
- Minimum of three (3) years of clinical practice in psychiatric medicine and previous leadership experience
- Must be licensed as a physician in the State of New York
- Experience in a leadership role in a hospital department, preferably in a major medical center or health system, required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to establish credibility quickly, build rapport, and easily interact with clinical and administrative leadership, as well as physicians and staff throughout Northwell Health.
- Proven ability to cultivate strong relationships with various stakeholders and create an environment that fosters collaboration and trust.
- Exceptional presentation skills and a high degree of poise when interacting with internal and external senior leaders.
- Expertise in the latest evidence-based clinical guidelines and technological advances.
- Genuine enthusiasm for working in an environment of constant change and growth.
- Desire to train the next generation of physicians.
Responsibilities and First-Year Aspirations
The newly appointed Vice Chairperson will be expected to achieve the following goals in the first twelve months of his or her tenure:
- Earn the trust and confidence of the regional players and hospital leaders, administrators at each ambulatory location, physicians and staff throughout Northwell Health.
- Ensure high quality patient care through development and standardization of care processes and protocols, educational seminars, metrics, outcome measures and process improvement initiatives.
- Actively participate in physician recruitment and the development of growth opportunities.
- Develop interdisciplinary collaborations with the Feinstein Institute and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory to expand and enhance research programs, with an emphasis on expanding access to clinical trials in year one.
- Participate in research projects (basic/clinical/applied), and advise fellows and house staff.
Apply on company website