We're a Little Different
Our mission is clear. We bring to life a healing ministry through our compassionate care and exceptional service.
At Mercy, we believe in careers that match the unique gifts of unique individuals – careers that not only make the most of your skills and talents, but also your heart. Join us and discover why Modern Healthcare Magazine named us in its “Top 100 Places to Work.”
Under the direction of the RN or LPN, assists in the individualized care of the patient to achieve the patient's highest level of wellness. Works cooperatively with others as part of a team; recognizes the importance of group goals. Performs designated clinical procedures and nonclinical support tasks essential to providing care to the patient. Assists in unit operational support tasks or duties.
1. Follows policy/procedure for Incident Report/ Sentinel Events.
2. Follows Privacy / Confidentiality Policy.
a. Respects privacy and dignity by keeping patients covered and pulling shades.
b. Knock before entering.
c. Observe patient confidentiality.
3. Complies with Infection Control Guidelines.
a. Aseptic technique.
b. Compliance with appropriate isolation precautions, wears gloves appropriately, wears safety glasses.
d. Keeps doors closed, maintains room traffic to a minimum.
e. Proper labeling of laboratory specimens.
f. Proper disposal of biohazard materials.
g. Follows isolation precautions.
4. Creates a Safe Environment by adhering to safety goal programs and policies:
a. Assessing for and implementing Fall Precaution Program.
b. Keeps rooms free of clutter to prevent patient falls.
c. Restraint Management.
d. Utilization of Patient I.D. identifiers.
e. Communication hand offs.
5. Respects patient/guests personal property.
a. Labels and properly secures guests/patients property.
B. Essential Duties
1. Adheres to hospital wide and specific department safety regulations.
a. Radiation Safety.
b. Fire and Tornado.
c. Environmental Safety.
2. Performs equipment safety checks and reports faulty equipment and initiates repairs.
3. Complies with patients rights/regulations.
Coordination of Services:
1. Supports family centered care philosophy as demonstrated by the following behaviors:
a. Demonstrates initiative to include family input into workflow and daily routine to meet patient/family needs.
b. Demonstrates ability to work with and will seek out resources to assist when necessary with culturally diverse populations.
2. Coordinates workflow by communicating to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
a. Communicates with ancillary departments to coordinate care in a timely manner.
b. Notifies RN of changes in the patient condition.
3. Demonstrates proper time management skills and ability to prioritize.
6. Demonstrates flexibility regarding workload and assignments.
a. Follows the self-schedule guidelines.
b. Fulfills holiday requirements.
7. Essential Duties
a. Assists in the orientation of new/float personnel.
b. Acquires adequate supplies to perform daily care.
c. Acquires, sets up and properly disposes of equipment for special procedures.
c. Utilizes resources appropriately.
8. Participates in quality improvement activities that ensure and enhance quality patient care and / or reporting mechanisms.
a. Turn Team
b. Mobility Hour
1. Demonstrates caring practices in interactions with patients, families and other co-workers. Caring practices can be defined as, but not limited to, vigilance, engagement, and responsiveness to the patient and family.
2. Documentation is factual, accurate, organized, complete, current, and confidential. Follows policies and procedures on documentation requirements which meet regulatory accreditation standards.
a. Documents accurate I&Os.
b. Documents meals, snacks and water intake.
3. Administers daily hygiene.
4. Performs routine daily activities:
b. Passes trays using restaurant style service and 2 patient identifiers.
c. Delivers snacks
d. Assists and feeds patients dependent upon the patients ability.
e. Turns and repositions patients, participating in the Turn Team.
f. Observes for skin breakdown using the I See Red Program.
5. Performs Sure Step Pro
6. Provides patients and their families with explanation of care and psychological support under the direction of the nurse.
7. Participates in the admission, discharge and transfer of patients and their belongings.
8. Applies knowledge of cost effectiveness without jeopardizing patient outcome.
9. Assures all patient charges/credits are entered appropriately.
1. Communicates patient goals and changes in status to the RN caring for the patient and utilizes input to revise care delivered to the patient for optimum patient benefit.
2. Hand off report is factual, accurate, organized, complete, current, and confidential and utilizes the S-BAR format.
a. Shift report is carried out at the bedside and includes the patient.
b. The white board is updated.
3. Utilizes available resources as needed.
4. Attends 75% of all team meetings.
a. Demonstrates competence in initiating and maintaining use of routine equipment and procedures.
b. Understands and navigates the patient's electronic medical record.
c. Performs clerical duties as needed, answers phones and call lights.
Education: High school diploma, G.E.D. and/or current co-worker of Mercy. Successful completion of Basic Skills I course within one month of hire or transfer.
Other: The physical demands described here are the representative of the minimums that must be met by an employee to perform all essential functions of the job. Most physical demands are below, plus: Minimal: lift floor to waist height.
If you are not currently employed by Mercy Hospital St. Louis as a PCA/PCT, you must be available to complete a full-time 2 week training class held Monday through Friday, 7am to 3:30 pm, immediately upon hire. Upon successful completion of the class component, 100 hours of clinical department training are also required.
We Offer Great Benefits:
Day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, tuition reimbursement and employer-matched retirement funds are just a few of the great benefits offered to eligible co-workers, including those working 48 hours or more per pay period!
We're bringing to life a healing ministry through compassionate care.
At Mercy, our supportive community will be behind you every step of your day, especially the tough ones. You will have opportunities to pioneer new models of care and transform the health care experience through advanced technology and innovative procedures. We're expanding to help our communities grow. Join us and be a part of it all.
What Makes You a Good Match for Mercy?
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We're also collaborative and unafraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that's just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a good fit for you, we encourage you to apply.
Mercy has determined this is a safety-sensitive position. The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner is an essential function of this job.
Apply on company website